Shower pump stops after a few minutes use

Hi

Our NewTeam shower pump is on the blink. It runs for about 4 minutes and then stops. It won't restart for another 10 minutes or so. Is this a fault that could be fixed or do I need a new pump?

If I replace the pump I will want a really quiet model because it is located in an airing cupboard in a bedroom. Is it necessary to go for a Stuart Turner, or can anyone recommend a very quiet, cheaper alternative?

David

Reply to
DavidA

Most likely the impeller is sticking, so the motor is straining and overheating. The motor has a thermal cut-out which takes about ten minutes to automatically reset.

If you dismantle the pump you will probably find that the impeller shaft does not rotate freely. I don't think they're economical to repair and in this case I would a new pump of better quality.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Thanks for your reply.

For quietness, is it necessary to go for a Stuart Turner, or can anyone recommend a very quiet, cheaper alternative?

Reply to
DavidA

A shorted turn is another possibility. If the latter, it can be made to run with a series dropper, albeit at reduced pressure.

meow2222

I haven't bought one for a while, so I wouldn't want to make a recommendation. I'm sure there are better value for money options than the Stuart Turner.

Have a look here:

it should be said that the noise issue generally has as much to do with how you mount and connect up your shower pump than the make, per se. It's come up on this newsgroup before, so you might want to search on Google groups for references.

Different people have different ideas, but the central themes seem to be as follows:

Make sure you are using flexible connections between your piping and the pump.

At the pump location, put down a piece of quality carpet, then a paving slab, then another piece of quality carpet and put your pump on top. If you can find some rubber blocks or rubber sheet about the same thickness as carpet, put some of that down in lieu. Basically, you want to acoustically isolate the pump from the structure of the building.

Reply to
Dave Osborne