Shower pump misbehaving

Hi,

Over the past few months I've been hearing some odd noises from a pump in my house that serves the shower and adjacent hand basin. Sometimes it fails to stop when I turn off the shower, running at what sounds like full speed for five minutes or so. It also cycles on and off every 1-2 seconds when I run the basin tap.

Is this likely to be fixable, or am I looking at a new pump? If it makes any difference my area has very hard mains water.

Thanks for any advice

- Ian

Reply to
Ian Chard

Sounds like the flow detection bit, usually at one or both of the outlets, has crudded up. It may mean a new pump but it might be worth a look first.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

IME a common cause of this problem is due to the magnet which sits in the water becoming apt to jam. This is probably because it's plastic casing has cracked and then it has swollen as it begins to corrode.

On the better models you should be able to get new parts for a modest cost.

Reply to
Ed Sirett