Shower pump is too powerful

Hi guys,

We have a pumped shower, which has a single impeller pump installed between the mixer and the shower head.

At the moment it is producing in excess of 20 litres per minute from the showerhead, which is draining the cylinder too quickly.

I'd like to reduce the flow rate a bit.

I was thinking of fitting a gate valve between the pump and the showerhead, and using it to restrict the flow.

Would this work OK to do this to the pump? Would it cause problems for the pump, like causing it to overheat or wear out more quickly?

Is there any other way to regulate the flow, short of fitting a lower power pump?

I'm assuming restricting the flow into the pump would be a worse idea?

Many thanks for your help and advice! :)

Reply to
Paul G

meow2222

Fit a "flow regulator" in the line.

It will not allow flow above the setting. After the mixer the stress on the pump is not great. Best a duel end pump before the mixer as it gives better control.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In industrial applications I have seen a pipe with a control valve looping back from the outlet to the inlet - and a restrictor in the outlet after the loop. Thus allowing the excess water to be returned to the inlet side of the pump - and allowing the pump to happily pump away to its maximum.

Reply to
John

That would work, even without the restrictor, but why choose more cost, more energy use, and more work?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Except if it's a simple Mira mixer (mira 88 for example) then Mira's own instructions insist on a single impeller pump between the mixer and the head. The newer models such as the Gem 88 can be used with a twin impeller pump.

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

That is used. Best to find out what the pump shifts. Then on the loop back to the inlet put a flow regulator and to the shower head a flow regulator too. About £5 each. Then you are guaranteed no wild fluctuations. Inserting a gate valve to throttle down, is not the way.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel