Shower Mixer

We have been informed by our shower mixer supplier that we cannot buy a two-knob themostatic mixer valve that use the "ceramic disc" technology for the 1/4 turn on/off - he has sold us one that works like a conventional tap and seems to require about six turns to get fully on. Surely he must be mistaken? Any ideas anybody of one we might buy - not top of the range?! Thanks

Not sure quite what you are after - and if ceramic valve is more important than quarter turn.
When you say 'two knob thermostatic mixer' I presume you mean a mixer with one knob to control the flow of water and one to set the temperature of the thermostat?
We have just fitted a Triton Tay bath shower mixer (i.e. bath taps and shower mixer all in one) which has two knobs - one a thermostatic temperature control and the other an on/off which turns half a turn from fully on to fully off. I think Triton do a shower only version as well.
Our Aqualisa shower (which is ceramic disc) works with a central knob and this takes almost a full rotation of the knob from fully off to fully on.
Our kitchen taps (ceramic disc again) only take about a quarter turn but this is a different application from a shower, obviously.
So your supplier may well be right, and there may not be a 1/4 turn ceramic disc thermostatic shower mixer. However 1/2 to 1 turn is readily available.
HTH Dave R
In uk.d-i-y, Aiden wrote:

On my shopping list for our new bathroom is a Matki Elixir thermostatic mixer that turns 180 degrees from off to on. See
http://www.matki.co.uk/collections/elixir/elixir.html
You can't see it in the picture but from IIRC the lower knob is labelled "Off" to the left and "On" to the right - the picture shows it half on. The upper knob is the thermostat, of course. Costs about 300, and looks every penny of it.
--
Mike Barnes

important
with
the
Same idea but less trendy (and a third of the price) is the one BES do. Theirs has temp at the bottom, flow at the top, and round knobs without the levers (but with flats on so you can turn them with soapy hands). The backplate is round-cornered, sort of oval shaped, instead of rectangular. I've fitted a couple: one to a combi, one on gravity, and both seem OK (haven't actually showered in either myself, just stuck my elbow under!)
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Load dropped, paperwork completed: job done.
<snip>

<snip> Forgot to say - the Triton Tay was 165 + VAT from Falcon Plumbing and Heating Supplies Ltd. in Colchester. Quite a hefty discount from the list price - so far it looks good and works well.