Shower mat puzzle

I've recently bought two different types of plastic "bubble" type shower mats, and within about a week, they have turned pink. Anyone else have this problem?

Regards, and thanks in advance

Syke

Reply to
Syke

It's mould growing on the mat. Scrub them with bleach to get rid of it and then you need to find a way to dry them off between uses. I made a hook for ours to hang it from the shower cubicle when not in use.

Reply to
Huge

There's a pink bacteria that lives in bathrooms, probably the mats are trapping damp and helping it thrive ... try bleach, and hanging the mats up when not in use.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you get them from Homebase :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I actually don't think its dangerous though if one did let it go on it could be slimy and hence be dangerous. Alternative idea. The colour can change with humidity, much like the old seaweed used to for weather forecasting, so it might have a secondary use! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm not sure if this is the usual culprit, but it doesn't sound ideal

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ick. It'll grow on your teeth!

Reply to
Huge

'Snot mould it is a bacteria, (the dish washer [machine] at the work used to get a reddish bloom on it the soap salesman said it was bacteria that lived on soap) only took a day to appear the hotel kitchen wasn't that dirty .

Due to the design of these mats they never fully dry when left lying flat so hanging them up allows them to dry. Found that scrubbing got rid of it never had to use bleach , but if that's what works for you... Mind you bleach~dishes not a good combination so bleach was pretty much contraindicated, maybe because bleach can be used it is in showers.

Reply to
soup

Whatever. The cure is exactly the same.

Reply to
Huge

You can get ones that are impregnated with with a fungicide that kills it.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Had the same problem; went to a cripshop and got the (?) abrasive strips and stuck them on in a double diagonal pattern with a clear channel down the middle. Been there about 4 years or so and still OK. Need a quick scrub about every 4 weeks.

Reply to
PeterC

I got a bath with a pattern of sand sprinkled into the enamel for grip at the tap/plug end ...

Reply to
Andy Burns