Shower installation, floor advice??

Hello

I have recently stripped out a shower room on the top floor of my house, it had been leaking badly.

Sorted out the rot in joists etc... and now ready to lay the floor.

My plasterer told me to get the loft panels, like chipboard. I have used these in another room on this floor and no problems..

But today I was speaking in a hardware store and he said I should use Marine plywood ????

No as I already have normal chipboard, should I lay it, then just get some thin quarter inch Marine plywood, or should I take it back and get the full marine plywood????

Or I should just stick with the woodchip??

Thanks for your advice Phil

Reply to
PhilÅ

IME it's not just the waterproof wood you need but the rigidity to stop the shower tray moving. I've always used three quarter inch marine ply screwed tightly to the joists.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

Ok, back to B&Q, I had moved all the damm chipboard up to the third floor.

Cheers, Phil.

Reply to
PhilÅ

Hi,

Is this a room with a shower in or a 'wet room'? Also what flooring will be laid?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Not a wet room, a cubicle. Flooring will probably be just lino, maybe tiles, but they are quite expensive..

Reply to
PhilÅ

If lino I'd just use plenty of PVA on the top and edges of the chipboard before installing, then tape between the joints.

For under the shower tray something really waterproof like a layer of DPC, epoxy or pond sealer would withstand continious wet.

If £££ tiles and it will be wet quite often then a cement board like aquapanel or wedi board would be best.

How did the previous shower leak, down the back of the tiles?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C