Shower/Immersion question

I have an electric shower at the moment that trickles out quite cold in winter. I am wondering if I could run a power shower from the economy 7 immersion water heater. I never have the emersion on at the moment as I always have a shower from the electric shower and wash up using the dish washer. I have no need for hot water so if I used it, it would only be used for a power shower once a day (there is only one person in my flat). The immersion heater is quite large and can easily fill a bath full with its hot water only (so enough for 2 baths at a normal temperature mixed with the cold). The heater is right next to the shower/bath so would be lower than the shower head (does that mean I would need a pump?). Could I run a shower good shower off this system or should I stick with an electric shower and just get a higher watt one? I do not want to spend loads on a combi boiler as I would only use it for a shower and there is no venting wall near also. So all I want to know is can a power shower be installed into this setup and what stuff would I need (pump etc?

TIA Simon

Reply to
Simon Adebisi

It is the height of the cold tank that is important. This is either a cistern in the loft, or (particularly in flats) on top of the hot cylinder.

In any case, you will need a pump to run a shower from a gravity system. A "power shower" has pump built in. Alternatively, a separate pump and mixer shower provides a nicer appearance and allows other taps (i.e. bath taps) to be pumped too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The cold tank must be in the upstairs loft? This flat and the surrounding area is only 15 years old so is quite new. I am in the downstairs flat. There is no tank above the hot water tank so must be in the loft of the other flat above. The cold water pressure is extremely powerful (a bit too much!).

Reply to
Simon Adebisi

What is the hot pressure like? You might have a mains pressure system and not require a pump at all.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The hot is not very good, I can see quite a miss match between the cold and hot. The cold is that strong that you can only turn it on a bit before its rushed over the sides in the hand basin in the bathroom.

Reply to
Adebisi

On 5 Apr 2006 03:41:01 -0700 someone who may be "Simon Adebisi" wrote this:-

It could well be a packaged unit, with tank and cylinder in one unit. These are not always easy to spot.

To answer your original question, depending on the size of your cylinder it will probably do one power shower with some spare hot water for other uses. However, with all showers it depends how long you like to stand under the shower.

In the summer, if you shower reasonably early, the cylinder has a chance to be heated again before the cheap rate electricity goes off at around 8am BST.

Reply to
David Hansen

OK. You will need either:

(a) A single impellor pump on the hot side and a mixer shower (b) A "venturi" shower (c) A power shower, replacing the cold mains pipework to the shower with a gravity feed

You can't use your mains cold feed on a one box power shower.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle