Shower for low pressure h/w, high pressure c/w

FAQ and google checked...
I have a hot water tank with all of a metre or so of head above the bath, and cold water taken direct from the rising main*.
I obviously can't fit a pump in the normal way to the hot and cold. If I split the hot water and fed it in both the cold and hot inputs of the pump, and mixed the output at the other end, and then used a mixer for the boosted hot and rising main cold supplies, would this stand a chance of working? What about a thermostatic mixer?
* It's in a flat. It so happens that I have access to the loft, so I could in principle fit a cold water tank, but would prefer not to.

There are two possibilities I would suggest.
1. A venturi shower. This transfers some of the energy from the high pressure cold to boost the low pressure mains. Some people have tried these and been very satisfied with the results.
2. A single impeller pump on the hot supply. I had one of these in a previous house. The hot water only is fed through a pump with only one input and output port. These are cheaper than twin impeler pumps and widely available. It is important to use a pressure balancing mixer valve able to deal with a certain degree of pressure imbalance in the supplies. These are also widely available.
Number 2 will provide better flow rates and will also boost your bath tap. Number 1 will be much quieter and should give an excellent shower. It may also be cheaper.
Christian.

these
input
are
A lot cheaper overall. Also it is worth having a phosphor descaler on the cold supply into the house, feeding all the house except the drinking water. These should be fitted in all hard water areas. Small scale deposits can affect a venturi shower.

Fit a combi off the mains. A good shower pumps is 200-250 plus fittings ect. A combi can be had for 400 in B&Q and then no tanks or cylinders. A win, win situation.

I would agree that a Combi is good for a shower - but a 400 one is not going to give a good shower - the Wickes 102,000 BTU item (Halstead) is 525 inc VAT and controls with a 2 year guarantee and DOES heat water fast enough for a good shower - so good in fact that its costing a fortune in gas and water as no-one wants to get out !
Nick

fittings
going to

VAT
good
no-one wants

The Wickes 102 is a good boiler and delivers 13 litres/minute. A 28 kW BIASI from B&Q will give a good shower of that there is no doubt. The difference in price from a power shower pump to the BIASI is not that much, the Wickes 102 Combi is better for baths, but pricewise running away from the power shower pump.
My point is that, going combi is not very expensive and gives much added value.

cylinders.
BIASI
difference
Wickes
But what if you add fitting to that?
I had a bloke come round and give us a quote for replacing our current system (Baxi boiler / HW tank / CW tank in loft that I'd like to get rid of but need to find out if flat downstairs uses it) which would also require fitting TRV's on all the existing radiators. Unit he recommended was a Micro Genus 23 (5 rads at moment looking to add 2 more possibly, bath and separate shower) at the pricely sum of 2175 + VAT. I suspect the unit's under powered as we want one that'll give an excellent shower.
And what's with fitting these TRV's? At the moment we've got the older valves with the inflow and out at the same end of the rad, but have been told we can't keep these, which means drilling holes in my nice sanded / varnished floors and lifting more floorboards?
Rant over, actually perhaps I should have started a separate thread for this!
Leigh

not
inc
for
as
There is fitting for a 250 Stuart Turner power shower pump, and you still have the tanks and cylinders taling up space.

of
Micro
separate
The Microgenus 23 kW will give an excellent shower, it is the bath that will be slow. Virtually all combi's will give a very good shower. I have the 27 kW version which is better. Go for a Baxi 130HE @ 16 litres/min. More expensive but a good flowrate.

There is no reg to say you need TRVs when changing a boiler.

power
added
Yep, but fitting a shower pump is an easier diy job than fitting a boiler.
I'm probably going to go the combi boiler route - I'm looking at the Ravenheat condensing boiler that B&Q currently have for 479. I've only got a one bedroom flat, so buying the Baxi 130HE as suggested below is probably a bit over the top! Plan is to do the water plumbing myself and get a plumber in to do the gas hookup and commission the boiler. I'll probably drill the holes for the flue but let the plumber do that bit too. Since I can't find any documentation about decommissioning back boilers, I suspect the plumber will have to do at least the gas related bits of that too. Still going to work out a lot more than just the boiler cost though!

will
27
My plumber seemed to think I needed them too.... Didn't find any regulations, but my reading suggested that if you don't have TRVs you need some form of individual room control - i.e. motorised valves and a decent programmer, I'd guess.
Ben

kW
still
Avoid Ravenheat combi's. They have a CSI heating and system boilers, which are cheapish and not bad.

You rate a combi by the flowrate. 16 litres/min from the 130HE. Fills a bath nice a quick. If you have showers only them a smaller, cheaper one will do.

28
the
boiler.
which
OOI, why? And do you have any opinion on the Biasi boilers also sold by B&Q?

Indeed - showers only. I was perfectly happy with the Vokera Maxin 24e in my old rented flat - couldn't find any specs, but the new Linea 24 delivers just under 10litres/minute, though. I think I recorded closer to 6litres/minute coming through the kitchen tap though. It would be nice to be able to run the bathroom tap at the same time and still get a half decent shower though.
Ben

The
the
much
They are not very good.

Better design and quality.

delivers
You have answered your own concerns. The higher the flowrate the better. The Wickes 102 combi delivers 13 litres/min. Cheap, 2 yr guarantee and a good boiler. The 28 kW Microgenus is v good and "very" well specced, with even anti-scale and anti-cycle functions.

Any views on Worchester Bosch combi's (the 28KW models)?
Cheers!

boilers,
better.
with
Expensive. Not much else. Too many mixed views on this from total crap to super reliable.

and
Interesting, as I was quoted 500 less to get one of those rather than the Microgenus.
Cheers!

specced,
I can't see why as the list price of the Bosch is cheaper. The Microgenus is the smallest case sized combi available. The prime reason I bought it.
After Bosch bought out Worcester the quality went suspect. It may have settled.

B&Q?
guarantee
the
The new Junior is probably the one they are on about. It is about the same price as the Ariston. The Ariston comes with a 2 yr guarantee on the boiler and 5 on the plate heat exchanger.