Shower costs

I know some members of this group have a head for counting kilowatt hours and the like, so here is a question on shower running costs:

Assuming daily use of the shower, which would be more expensive to run

- a 9.5 kW electric shower using mains electricity, or a mains pressure shower using bottled gas via a combi boiler? I know I haven't given the local cost of either fuel, but please assume typical costs.

This will help determine which I install in the new shower room upstairs.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

... and the more feeble flow of an electric shower compared to a good flow of mains hot water will probably mean that you spend less time in the shower which would further reduce the costs.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Without wishing to burden anyone with the finer points of my ablution routine, I find myself spending ages longer in the electric shower I'm now left to use becasue of rinsing.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Hang the cost - the differences will be minimal anyway - go for something which delivers a decent water flow, which a 9.5kW electric shower will *never* do.

My preference would be to use a stored hot water system - either vented, with a booster pump, or unvented (mains pressure) - but you don't seem to have considered that option.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks everyone for your replies. We already have the combi, which is driven by bottled gas delivered in large bottles, as we have no mains gas in these parts.

I've mostly been persuaded by the purported superior performance of a mains pressure shower, and the fact that SWMBO might spend less time in it anyway, with better flow. It's also simpler for me to fit, as the water supply is adjacent and the electric isn't.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster