Shower controllers - an elementary question

Are shower controllers or mixers reasonably standard, like taps? Mine has ceased to work properly - the water is either cold, or scalding hot. Can I replace a simple part, like a tap washer? Or do I need to replace the whole unit?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

What make is it? My old Mira became "sticky" every few years so I got used to dismantling it, polishing the sliding surfaces and replacing the O rings - it took 30 mins maximum and was then perfect for a couple of years. At 20 years old it went into the skip as part of a major re-furb but was still working well when removed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Just out of interest, what substance did you polish it with?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Thanks very much for the suggestion . I'm not sure what the make of the mixer/controller is (it not an electric device, as I should have made clear).

Actually, I said it was "my" controller, but in fact it is in the house next door, but I promised to look at it. I'll try dismantling it, and see how that goes.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

A variety of things including steel wool, some white metal polish that comes in a tube (solvol?) and some brasso-type stuff; initially I even spun it in the lathe and held some very fine emery cloth against it. They're pretty simple beasts but remember to isolate before dismantling if you don't want an inadvertant shower.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I ask because I found ours was getting a bit sticky, but I couldn't find anything to polish its internals with which didn't wash off and become ineffective after a few days.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

They get sticky usually because of a build up of limescale. There shouldn't be any need to polish or use abrasives. Dismantle and descale in kettle descaler or vinegar. Reassemble, preferably with new seals. The manufacturers do service kits containing all the renewable seals. Routine maintenance. If the cartridge in a thermostatic mixer fails, they can't be dismantled and can be costly.

Reply to
Aidan