Shower ceramic valves - experiences?

I have a Mira 723 thermostatic mixer shower that has to be dismantled/descaled/lubricated at least once a year, due to the fairly hard water in this area. It's a fiddly job and I'm seriously considering replacing the control with a ceramic valve type. Unfortunately there is no direct drop-in replacement so this would involve quite a bit of work.

Hence the question: Has anyone good or bad experiences with ceramic plate valve shower controls in hard water areas? The Mira Excel (if it's still available) claims it 'resists scale build up'. Is this a get-out clause or are they just covering themselves?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tom B

Yes, mine is a Gainsborough thermostatic mixer. Installed about 10 years ago in a very hard water area. The only maintenance is to descale the outside of the exposed pipework for cosmetic reasons and to clear the spray holes in the shower rose from time to time. Never touched the valve , if it ain't broke don't fix it !

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Get a water softener and never have to worry about scale on valves or even descaling the shower again !!

Reply to
Ian Middleton