Shower brands - which is best?

Given a choice of the following, please can you give me your thoughts/ experiences of quality, reliability, cost etc?

I am thinking primarily for a 'standard' electric shower, say 9.5KW, but your comments about their thermostatic and power offerings are welcome.

  1. Mira
  2. Triton
  3. Gainsborough
  4. Redring
  5. Heatrae Sadia
  6. Any others?

Cheers Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Don't like these at all cos it is too easy to alter temperature when trying to alter flow. I've heard that they are good build quality though

Used to have one of these. Cheap and worked fine

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Fitted 3 of those in the last year or so - the 9.5kW ones from B&Q (around £90). Good flow, and built quality also impressive for the price.

Fitted one last year (8.5kW from B&Q, around £80 but was on sale for ~£50, which was the reason I bought it). Cheap and nasty plastic, flow disappointing, water could only be fed from one side which was a nightmare for me as it clashed with a brick in the wall behind.... Wouldn't touch it again even if it were half that price.

Reply to
NotMe

"Kalico" wrote | Given a choice of the following, please can you give me your thoughts/ | experiences of quality, reliability, cost etc? | I am thinking primarily for a 'standard' electric shower, say 9.5KW, | but your comments about their thermostatic and power offerings are | welcome. | 1. Mira | 2. Triton

Above fine IMHO

| 3. Gainsborough

The one I had was a pile of poo. They might have improved since.

| 4. Redring

Some people are quite caustic about Redring products.

| 5. Heatrae Sadia

Dunno.

| 6. Any others?

Are you sure you have no alternative to an instant electric shower? At 9kW their heating capacity is limited and the lowest of any heating system.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have a Gainsborough (the 2000, I think). It's been fine so far. It was in the house when we bought it in 1997 - I don't know how old it was then.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Mira Sport 9.5KW, gravity fed. Quality 1st class, Reliability 100% (over 8 years). Cost bloody expensive, but worth it.

Biggles Remove packaging to e-mail me

Reply to
Biggles

In message , Kalico writes

I had a Gainsborough power shower which gave nine years solid use before it finally packed in. I found out that they still made that model, albeit with a revised designation. This was great because it meant a straight swap without altering the fixings or plumbing.

We've had to have the repair man out twice with the new one (bearing seized and leak from flow regulator) but both done under warranty. Its been fine since.

Be aware that Heatrae Sadia and Gainsborough are the same firm. Heatrae are just round the corner from where I work in Norwich and it was them I was phoning for my Gainsborough warranty work.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

We have an older Mira Advance 7.5kW, fed from the rising main. As with all lower-powered showers, it's a bit light on flow rate, but the temperature regulation is remarkable. While you're using the shower, anyone else in the house can do whatever they want with the cold water taps or flush the toilets, and there is no perceptible temperature change.

After the initial expense, and of course the electricity usage, cost of ownership has been low. Earlier this year, after 10+ years of use in an extremely hard water area, the turbine flow sensor clapped out (and the shower safely shut itself down). The sensor cost all of about £40 to replace, direct from Mira. The heater assembly was practically choked with scale; a replacement would have cost about £70 but it cleaned up just fine.

Reply to
Ian White