shower bar mixers why are they cheaper?

can someone tell me why the mixers that are just bars with 2 dials at each end for temp+flow seem to be quite a lot cheaper are they inferior in some way or more prone to malfunctioning? Triton have a thermostatic bar mixer for only £75 which is quite a lot cheaper than other thermostatic mixers I've been looking at..

Martin

I don't know, but I prefer them to the single knob type. Turning off the flow doesn't cause it to lose your temperature setting.

I had a cheapie and it stopped working after about 2 years. Strongly suspect limescale. No softener, v. hard water. Not brass bodied, to my knowledge.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks Christian. On the plumbworld site on the Mira Excel mixer page:

it lists "Gravity fed hot and cold water supplies" and "Gravity fed hot and cold supplies - both pumped" as compatible plumbing system for the shower(which is what I'll have), but on all the Tritons:
it only lists "Low pressure system with min head 2 metres" or "Fully modulating type combination & multi-pint boilers" can I take it that when it refers to low pressure systems it includes gravity fed systems?

the cheapest Triton thermostatic mixer is £75 and the Mira Excel thermostatic mixer is £284 both have 5 year guarantees is the Mira worth the extra 209 quid? Is the difference that one is made of plastic and the other metal?

Thanks

Martin

Reply to
Martin

It should be fine. The pumped system will count as "high pressure system". It claims compatibility with this higher up. It doesn't mention having a pressure balancing valve, although the fact it stops immediately on supply failure hints that it might have one. It is essential to have this valve, as it operates much quicker than the thermostatic control when the pressure changes (i.e. tap is opened elsewhere).

When buying a cheap mixer shower, throw away the sprayhead that comes with it and buy a decent multipattern head with pin clean. They aren't expensive and they make a huge difference. Buy one designed specifically for power showers, avoid any head that claims it will work with an electric shower.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks- on further research it appears bar mixers aren't always cheaper than all others, but they aren't built in which I suppose makes them a bit cheaper. Triton definitely seem to be the cheapest for a thermostatic mixer that you can use with a pump that I've found. The shower head that comes with the cheapest Triton mixer is a Gea 3 position variable sprayhead would that have a pin clean?

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Hi,

cheaper here:

http://www.godfreys->can someone tell me why the mixers that are just bars with 2 dials at each

Reply to
Pete C

I'd guess not. However, you might get away with it, particularly if you live in a soft water area or have a softener.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

> cheers,

Thanks Pete, I actually found that while browsing as well, but I think Godfreys charge more for delivery by weight+distance whereas plumbworld charge only £2.97 under 300 quid value £4.97 over 300 so it probably comes to about the same.

Cheers,

Martin

Reply to
Martin

True, I think Godfrey's charge a tenner so its 70UKP vs 78UKP for Plumbworld, not that much in it.

BTW found some info on this shower here:

Pete C

> cheers,

Thanks for the info Pete, if Godfreys only charge £10 max it would be cheaper than plumbworld. On the triton site the spec for the cheaper Unichrome mixers says the showers are chrome EFFECT so I guess that means that they may be made from plastic explaining the cheapness?

Cheers,

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Hi, I'd expect the riser rail, shower head, hose and maybe parts of the valve housing is likely to be chromed plastic, but the valve itself would be brass otherwise they'd be foolish to offer a 5 year guarantee on it.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C