shower bar mixers why are they cheaper?

can someone tell me why the mixers that are just bars with 2 dials at each end for temp+flow seem to be quite a lot cheaper are they inferior in some way or more prone to malfunctioning? Triton have a thermostatic bar mixer for only 75 which is quite a lot cheaper than other thermostatic mixers I've been looking at.. http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID &Product_ID596&CATID
Martin

I don't know, but I prefer them to the single knob type. Turning off the flow doesn't cause it to lose your temperature setting.
I had a cheapie and it stopped working after about 2 years. Strongly suspect limescale. No softener, v. hard water. Not brass bodied, to my knowledge.
Christian.

each
suspect
Thanks Christian. On the plumbworld site on the Mira Excel mixer page: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID &Product_ID278&CATID it lists "Gravity fed hot and cold water supplies" and "Gravity fed hot and cold supplies - both pumped" as compatible plumbing system for the shower(which is what I'll have), but on all the Tritons: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID &CATID&ObjectGroup_IDg4 it only lists "Low pressure system with min head 2 metres" or "Fully modulating type combination & multi-pint boilers" can I take it that when it refers to low pressure systems it includes gravity fed systems?
the cheapest Triton thermostatic mixer is 75 and the Mira Excel thermostatic mixer is 284 both have 5 year guarantees is the Mira worth the extra 209 quid? Is the difference that one is made of plastic and the other metal?
Thanks
Martin

it
It should be fine. The pumped system will count as "high pressure system". It claims compatibility with this higher up. It doesn't mention having a pressure balancing valve, although the fact it stops immediately on supply failure hints that it might have one. It is essential to have this valve, as it operates much quicker than the thermostatic control when the pressure changes (i.e. tap is opened elsewhere).
When buying a cheap mixer shower, throw away the sprayhead that comes with it and buy a decent multipattern head with pin clean. They aren't expensive and they make a huge difference. Buy one designed specifically for power showers, avoid any head that claims it will work with an electric shower.
Christian.

when
as
expensive
Thanks- on further research it appears bar mixers aren't always cheaper than all others, but they aren't built in which I suppose makes them a bit cheaper. Triton definitely seem to be the cheapest for a thermostatic mixer that you can use with a pump that I've found. The shower head that comes with the cheapest Triton mixer is a Gea 3 position variable sprayhead would that have a pin clean?
Martin

I'd guess not. However, you might get away with it, particularly if you live in a soft water area or have a softener.
Christian.
Hi,
cheaper here:
http://www.godfreys-online.co.uk/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=TUA
cheers, Pete.
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:37:06 -0000, "Martin"

each
some
Thanks Pete, I actually found that while browsing as well, but I think Godfreys charge more for delivery by weight+distance whereas plumbworld charge only 2.97 under 300 quid value 4.97 over 300 so it probably comes to about the same.
Cheers,
Martin
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:54:59 -0000, "Martin"
<snip>

True, I think Godfrey's charge a tenner so its 70UKP vs 78UKP for Plumbworld, not that much in it.
BTW found some info on this shower here:
http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/installation/pdf_2/Unichrome/2180367A%20-%20Bar%20mixers.pdf
cheers, Pete.

comes
http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/installation/pdf_2/Unichrome/2180367A%20-%20Bar%20mixers.pdf
Thanks for the info Pete, if Godfreys only charge 10 max it would be cheaper than plumbworld. On the triton site the spec for the cheaper Unichrome mixers says the showers are chrome EFFECT so I guess that means that they may be made from plastic explaining the cheapness?
Cheers,
Martin
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:30:16 -0000, "Martin"

Hi, I'd expect the riser rail, shower head, hose and maybe parts of the valve housing is likely to be chromed plastic, but the valve itself would be brass otherwise they'd be foolish to offer a 5 year guarantee on it.
cheers, Pete.