Should washing machine hoses be replaced every ten years?

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM

Reply to
MM

Some years ago I noticed that the pressure rating dropped rapidly with temperature. Not a problem on indirect HW, but a combi feed would rise close to mains pressure when shut off, so if the hose is full of hot water...

About 15 years ago I installed a Miele - the hose was rated above any mains pressure at 90 deg. C.

Hoses are cheap, but I'm always wary of a new one being worse than the original one. My last machine, an AEG, was OK for 13 years, so hoses were good then.

Reply to
PeterC

I asked a plumber I know if he's seen any old appliance hoses look bad (perished) after 10+ years. No was the answer.

I suspect these days, the hose will outlive the machine mechanics.

The main thing to check is if they've been damaged (kinked, cut etc).

Reply to
Tim Watts

These days they tend to have a PVC cladding, which eliminates Ozone and UV attack on the rubber (not that they usually see much light). And of course machines have been cold fill only for a long time now. I think the only failure I have seen was at the cheap and nasty coupling, where one of the "nuts" pinged out one thread a few weeks after (someone else) fitted it.

Reply to
newshound

The main failure point is the rubber washers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Agreed, but usually only when they are disturbed.

Reply to
newshound

I'd hope the hoses that came with the washing machine would outlast the machine. of course the more likely scenario is that the couplers can work loose or the hose rub on something during spin and make it fail. I'm afraid there is no simple answer there should have been a simple way to detach the furniture, so to speak to get in and inspect stuff. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Well, my 10-year-old Hotpoint has both hot and cold hoses. It works fine, though, even if the hot water is only tepid. Just has to heat more itself, I assume.

MM

Reply to
MM

Only problem: The w/m is f... heavy! Don't forget I had the sternum cracked open 2 years ago...

MM

Reply to
MM

I did have one hose start to leak.

IIRC it was at the end of the hose - there was a metal bit crimped to the hose or something where it joined onto the screwy bit.

Only a slow leak though

Reply to
Chris French

Exactly like mine, in fact!

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?

MM

Reply to
MM

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

+1. 10p each at my local DIY store.

I replace them as a matter of course when I move house and take the machine with me.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The stop-c*ck is OFF.

Reply to
PeterC

Turn the water off. Put bars on the windows and doors.

Get a big roll of Aldi tin foil and put it round you head in case of radiation from The Sun.

Reply to
The Todal

MM's is allways off.

Reply to
The Todal

They can't hear you scream in space.

Reply to
Benny Dicked Us

And central heating in winter? As frost protection?

MM

Reply to
MM

The combi is on and has limited water in it.

Reply to
PeterC

Dunno what that means.

MM

Reply to
MM

"Every" ten years? Just how long do you expect your machine to last? Judging by what I see, heard and read, more than 19 years would be a miracle.

Reply to
polygonum