should unswitched live should as live on a neon screwdriver?

Page 2 of 2
On 15 Nov 2003 14:40:39 -0800, dave L wrote:

I have one and use it occasionally when I can't find my prefered tester a "Volt Stick". The big plus about the volt stick is that is non-contact, you can see if a cable is live without needing to be at an end or cut into it.

Voltage detecting device, you could touch it against a cable carrying a thousand amps at a low voltage and it wouldn't light.

Cheap modern ones seem to be much more prone to this "false" indication than an old (>40years) one that my father has. I have never known that give a false indiaction and I've never felt a tingle from it either. Both of which I have had from a cheap modern one.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On 15 Nov 2003 00:22:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (dave L) wrote:

I am glad you posted this as I have one of these cheap tools and it exhibits the same characteristics, checking some metal light switches (previous owner installed) it did at least make me realise that it wasn't earthed so it has paid for itself and I shall be fixing that this afternoon ....