should i take any notice of this at the top of the page?

"The old Google Groups will be going away soon. Switch to the new Google Groups."

Reply to
kent

Use a newsreader, this group isn't a website - it's something totally different. Google gives you a peep into it, but that's all it is, to get the full use of it you need to use a newsreader

Reply to
Phil L

Well, for most of us here it would not make a scrap of difference if GG vanished completely.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've been using usenet since the days of Pine (early 90s). I now use Google Groups, and I think it's fine. In fact for uk.d-i-y I think it's better, because most of questions get answered by an archive search without me ever needing to post anything. And I've ignored that message from Google too.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

See previous post - you'd get a lot more stupid questions from me.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Yes it would. GG is hopeless for posting but provides a valuable archive.

But is it going to survive at all? Groups used to be one of the items on the top line of the Google home page. Then it was relegated to the 'more' menu. Recently it has been relegated further to the 'even more' sub menu to the 'more' menu on the Google front page. Not exactly auspicious.

Reply to
Andrew May