Should a plasterboard wall with a shower fitted to it be tiled?

Hi all,

There is a fairly low bath in my bathroom with 12inches of tiling around the rim.

My landlord has had fitted an electric shower fitted at one end of the bath, but has not put any tiling at the shower end around the shower down to the bath.

The walls are matt emulsion painted plasterboard.

Is the plasterboard around the shower going to be ok with getting wet?

Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

Huge

No! If you value your deposit get him to tile the area.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Any shower curtain or screen to protect the rest of the room?

and _exactly who_ fitted the shower? Demand to see the electrical test certificate before you go anywhere near it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I put a shower curtin up afterwards as I could see the floor would soon be very wet.

I do know it was a proper electrician who put it up, but no idea about who did the pluming bit. Mick

Reply to
Mick.

Tile it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I once went through the wall of a shower that had tiles on plasterboard, the grout needed redoing. I'd tile on something more substantial.

Reply to
misterroy

I wouldn't.

The tiles will not be soaked..water will run down rather than puddle.

Only problem with tiling happen when water pools.

Then it will soak into grout.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi all,

Perhaps it would be best to give the background to this problem.

This is a Housing Association flat.

Because of Osteoarthritis in my knees and hands, I asked if my bath could be changed to a walk in shower

The Housing Association referred me to an occupational assessment unit to seek funding.

A kitchen and bathroom upgrade was planned for all the flats in the complex.

When this started the builders told me I was not having a bathroom upgrade, they were fitting an over bath electric shower instead.

Which is what has happened, a shower only.

The Housing Association has not sent anyone to final check the whole kitchen and bathroom upgrade which was done by different teams.

This is why I wanted to ask if a builder would fit a shower without any tiling.

When we were told the general upgrades were planned I offered to pay the cost of the shower if it could be installed at the time of the upgrade hoping they would then build a walk in unit.

We are not allowed to do work ourselves we have to get permission to get a qualified approved builder to carry out the work, but I wonder what the Housing Association would say if I had had the shower installed without tiling?

Would they then hold me responsible when the plasterboard walls are damaged?

Mick.

"
Reply to
Mick.

In a word no assuming it is plasterboard not one of the similar waterproof boards that are available. Even those boards really ought to be tiled and grouted with a waterproof grout, keeping paint clean and mould out of it I think would be nigh on impossible.

I don't see how this work carried out by the landlord can affect your deposit if/when damage to the structure of the building is cause by you simply using what he has (badly) provided. It may give him wiggle room though so best to get sorted out now, keep copies of letters that show your concern that the job has not been done properly etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, no way. I wouldnt tile it either, I'd get rid of the plasterboard, use something that'll survive then tile that.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

or they could tank the plasterboard and then tile on top.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I didn't realise builders were experts in disability assessment!

At best, it sounds like a breakdown in communication.

At worst, it sounds like someone is taking the piss.

Speak to the Housing Asociation, the Citizen's Advice Bureau, your local MP, or anyone else who can raise hell on your behalf.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

For perhaps 2-3 days til it all starts to turn to papier-mache, otherwise NO.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I wouldn't take the risk, TBH - it's about $18 here (11 quid or so?) for a 4x8' 1/4" sheet of cement board, so I'd at least put that up (or just go with thicker board if not attaching to existing plasterboard behind).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hi all, Thanks for the replies. It is shown from your replies that the plasterboard should be at least tiled, but how do I get that over to the Housing Ass? I have written to one of the many heads of departments twice with no reply! Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

contact building control?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This I suspect is one of those cases where the Housing Assoc has taken the lowest bid and doesn't have the skills to vet it properly.

Mick, you will seen as a stirrer and likely to get thrown out until they discover all these bathrooms with collapsing PB !

I like the suggestion of going to local authority Building Control as they should support what has been said here and rapidly descend on HA.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

This I suspect is one of those cases where the Housing Assoc has taken the lowest bid and doesn't have the skills to vet it properly.

Mick, you will seen as a stirrer and likely to get thrown out until they discover all these bathrooms with collapsing PB !

I like the suggestion of going to local authority Building Control as they should support what has been said here and rapidly descend on HA.

Rob

Hi Rob, Thanks for the suggestion. I will go and see the Building Control and have a word, before I start anything. Yes I can see that some jobsworth who knows nothing about bathrooms could decide I am just string truble. Thanks, Mick.

Reply to
Mick.