short washing machine drain hose

Well after finally getting our new Siemens IQ washing machine delivered in one piece, at the 4th attempt, we've ran into another problem! The drain hose is to short to reach our sinks siphon. Its the bog standard 1.5m, why they make them so short god only knows the standard length for a fill hose seems to be 2.5m. The machine isn't very far from the sink but the hose has to go around a corner, and typically, its on the wrong side of the machine so it has to go around the back of the machine as well , all this means it doesn't reach. Well it does reach if you stretch it but its then very tight.
Anyway anybody got any ideas? You can buy longer hoses but I can fit a new one to the machine, so I'm thinking of extending the current one with a bit of 21mm waste pipe, another drain hose and some jubilee clips.
Kerry
Kerry you can get extensions from most shops, they normally come with a cable clip to ensure the join is tight.
Only a few quid.

I've not managed to track an extension down anywhere

Kerry
Goto
www.plumbworld.co.uk
the site uses sessions so ..
Click search at the bottom and search for "KINK"
you will get a Washing Machine Non Kink Drain Hose 1.5 M x 21 mm They are about 1.50, just also buy a clip to tighten the connection.

It might be a case of Mahomet and the mountain!
If you can't get your washing machine to the drain, have you thought of bringing the drain to the washing machine. If you mount a standpipe next to the machine, with a trap at the bottom and outlet going out through the wall to the same gulley as serves the kitchen sink, that should solve your problem with the existing outlet hose.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

A word of warning: if the drain hose is that corrugated plastic stuff, it's quite hard to join it without leaks.
I first tried jubilee clips, which didn't work because water just leaked past the crushed corrugations in the pipe, then resorted to hot-melt glue to fill in the gaps between the cavities in the hose and the coupler, finally wrapping the whole joint in tape. That worked, but the coupler reduced the bore of the pipe, meaning the machine took longer to empty. The coupler also frequently got blocked with crap (this was on a dishwasher) and eventually I got fed up and replaced the entire hose with a longer one.
I had this problem with our dish washer. The corrugated hose started leaking. Easy fix was to use PVC solvent - the glue used on PVC pipes. Works a treat. No tape, clips or clamps.
writes

yeah this is what I was affraid of happening, I might give Siemens a call tomorrow and see if they do a longer hose
Kerry
writes

There are hoses on www.domestic-appliance-spares.co.uk under washers...universal...hoses.
Less than a tenner, which will most likely be cheaper than Siemens.
Stu
writes

Washing machine outlet hoses should not go into a sink syphon, but into a 1.5" standpipe, as per most instruction books. There are several good reasons for this, including to prevent waste water/grease from the sink, flowing back into the machine, also any restrictions in the pipe, i.e. the joint where it attaches to the syphon, provides the perfect place for a loose button/any build up of fluff etc. to block the hose, and cause problems later on. If a connector with a non return valve is used, this is worse than ever, as it will block 10 times as quick.
Gavin Gillespie wrote:

If you must use a washing machine without a proper filter than I suppose you're right :) The non return valve on the end of our machine's 2.5m waste hose has not blocked in the 3 years it has been there...
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

But most washing machines made now, do not have a fine filter, (more of a coin trap), so any small items are supposed to be flushed through the hose, which is OK if the hose is not restricted. Most of the blockages at non return valves that I attended, had actually had the 'valve' removed by plumbers when fitting, but they had left the valve fitting assembly (a bit like a cross gun sight), and these would often block. One woman that I visited, would regularly pour hot chip fat down the sink, this would flow down the washing machine outlet hose, and solidify in the pipe, it must have cost her more than the machine in repairs, but she never moaned about it.
Gavin Gillespie wrote: <snip>

I see what you mean, although we don't pour fat (or food), down the sink anyway :)
One thing to remember is that using a spigot above the waste trap on a sink means that it is quite noisy when the machine empties, I guess you'd need a very quiet machine to notice though :)
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

indeed mines been installed for about 4 years - and not a blockage in sight. In fact we just changed our washing machine last week and I took the opportunity to check the non-return valve, and it was a clean as the I installed it

Kerry,
Had this problem more than once and generally reolve it by jubilee'ing an extension onto the original hose and never had any problem. However this is not generally recommended by the manufacturer's ? due to backdrainage. I would read your instructions carefully on this as regards invalidating warranty.
The 'proper' solution would be to extended your existing waste to a stand pipe and to drain into there.
hope this helps