Shocking Experience .

I have recently been getting slight shocks from different things . I noticed it from a Photographic Flash Unit that has a metal body and again from the fixing screws on light switches when I accidentally touched it instead of the rocker . If I touch these items immediately after there is no repeat until sometime later . The light units have been recently PAT tested . I presume this is static emanating from somewhere but is there anything I can do to prevent it ?. tia Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

On 07/02/2004 Stuart opined:-

Static is a brief high voltage shock, just as you first touch an item. If you touch the same item again imediately, you will not receive a shock if it is static discharge.

It can be caused by walking over nylon carpets plus similar, in a very dry environment and made made shoes.

If not the above, get things checked out as a matter of urgency.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Stuart, and I thusly replied:

Stop having sex on formica worktops wearing nylon jumpers. HTH.

Reply to
Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

Beware of Harry's advice. He is likely trying to kill you with incorrect assessments.

Reply to
Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip

Change your footwear ?...

Reply to
Jerry.

Try spats.

Reply to
IMM

Not again! He killed me twice.

Reply to
Phil Kyle

A messy way of increasing the humidity IETWO, try a humidifier.

DG

Reply to
derek

Do you have a little book of "things everyone already knows", or wot?

Reply to
Roberta French

He has a little black book.

Reply to
Phil Kyle

One thing that can help a lot is to hold onto something metallic, like a key, and offer that up to door handles etc. You can sometimes see the static jump quite a distance. The use of a key (etc) tends to remove the problem as the discharge takes place over a larger area of your skin.

Solutions to the problem can include the following.

1) You may be wearing nylon clothing (underwear etc). Change to something else.

2) The soles of your shoes may be non-conducting (rubber for example). You can hang a small wire out of the back of your shoe, similar idea to those anti-static straps that are available for car bumpers. Alternatively change to different footwear. The wire basically earths the static as you walk along. Walking in unshoed feet you probably will never have the problem - it's you that's charged up, not the door handle.

3) You may have a very dry atmosphere, in which static breeds. Can be helped a lot by adding some moisture to the air. Open some windows etc.

PoP

PoP