Shelving

I need to put up 4 shelves in a 20cm-deep living room alcove. Thinking of this:

The back wall is plasterboard on studs/insulation board; the ends brick.

What would be the best way of supporting the shelves?

Reply to
RJH

For heavy stuff, or light? Near a metre span, or shorter? If for books, for example, it will sag in the middle of a longer span unless you support it along the back. How keen are you for the supports to be more or less invisible?

Reply to
newshound

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Books, and neat.

Reply to
RJH

many thanks - knew it was there somewhere! I'll take a look.

Reply to
RJH

In my alcove I used U channel either side and slotted the wooden shelf into it. There is no support at the back of the shelf.

I also glued a bit of thin facing timber to the front of the shelf to hide the ends that fitted into the U tube.

The U channel is similar to the upright piece in:

2/3 metre lengths can be found in most sheds.

2 photos at

alan