Sheds

I need a shed! (Doesn't everyone?) And I'd like to get it sorted before the winter hits.

Just a bog-standard 8 x 6, ideally in shiplap.

On a very rough estimate, it doesn't look like there's a lot to be saved by building from scratch compared with buying something and, of course, the manufactured ones would take a lot less time to install. A lot of places are running sales just now, of course. Nonetheless, I thought I would poll the experts here for a bit of advice: Do you think it's best to build from scratch or buy ready made? I sort of anticipate that anything ready-made could well benefit from a bit of judicious reinforcement, but that's hardly a big deal.

While I'm on, does anyone have any good/bad experiences of suppliers either online or locally in the midlands?

Thanks all

Reply to
GMM

That matches my experience, no cheaper to DIY but you get a much more robust result, and importantly you can have whatever size, shape, design and features you want.

Next time round I may well consider spending the money on a suitable saw instead, and using a garden felled tree.

NT

Reply to
NT

Only experience of one company via 'phone with an enquiry; helpful replies to my questions:

South Yardley, Birmingham.

Reply to
PeterC

I've found that most of the expense goes on the roof - if you can find a way of cutting costs there then it could work out a *lot* cheaper.

Reply to
Jules

That was about a fifth of the budget IIRC last time I built one. That was felt on ply though, not longer lasting options.

NT

Reply to
NT

If I had some decent carpentry skills I would have probably made one. Instead I bought a shed in kit form from gardenbuildingsdirect two years ago.

The size is 10' x 8', which is just big enough to store my garden tools etc. It was easy to erect on my own. All the fixings were supplied, plus the roofing materials. I used screws generally instead of the nails supplied. Also I did add some long coach bolts through top & bottom of each corner to complete the bracing. I added some guttering and a water butt to finish off the task.

Mine is supported on 6 off 3" x 3" fence posts that rest on concrete paving slabs that I levelled out carefully.

It cost me £300 then. I see that the same shed is about £320 now. It looks fine with a coat of fence preservative. My son-in law bought a larger one, which looks even better, and we are both very pleased.

David J

Reply to
David J

In message , GMM writes

We had a new shed in the old house. I did consider DIY, but had enough things to do, and while I'm sure I would have ended up with a 'better' shed- I'm not sure when I might have ended up with a better one :-), the one we bought was perfectly good, and up to the job. It was sturdy, weatherproof, went up square and stayed that way.

I'd steer clear of the very cheapest DIY shed type ones, some do look a bit on the ropey side. In the end we got one from a local sawmill/fencing suppliers. They also made sheds on site as well. They were made to order, so you pretty much have whatever size, doors/window arrangement you wanted. Though going for a standard setup was a bit cheaper IIRC as presumably they were all setup to make them easily.

IIRC A bit more expensive than a decent mass produced one from a garden buildings place, but good quality and well made.

I had it erected as well, it wasn't that much more and it saved me the time. But it wouldn't be hard to DIY erect. I prepared the base - concrete block bedded onto weak sand/cement mix with treated fence posts run across as bearers

Reply to
chris French

David J used his keyboard to write :

Just an idea....

5m of 300mm wide plastic white soffit board is double skinned and cost me around £9 per 5m length. Each length just clips into the next one above it. Now assuming you could build a suitable timber frame and further assuming its poor security were not much of an issue, that would be a fairly cheap way to build a hut. A 6 x 4 hut would need at a guess 6 lengths for the walls and the finish is similar to shiplap.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks chaps. Although I completely agree with NT's view that a self- build would be more robust, I suspect that it will be more straightforward to get something from a supplier and 'help' it with a little careful modification.

I looked up the supplier that David mentioned and they do provide a good reference point for price, which is much keener than a B&Q special or the like, with a great deal more choice. Jackson's, suggested by Peter, are well within the area and I'll be giving them a call when I have a moment to myself. Unfortunately, their online price list is dated 2007 and they appear to be offering supply and erection which, while attractive, makes things a bit more complicated from my point of view (ie having to be at home and having the base prepared ready for them). Of course, I'd rather go with a local small firm if they can do what I need.

I'm intrigued at the idea of using fence posts as bearers (David and Chris), as I was thinking in terms of having to make a slab base: I was sort of hoping to use up a pile of old bricks as hardcore, but I suppose I could do that just as easily under fence post bearers, without using as many slabs. It does make sense, as it would lift the whole thing good and clear of the base to prevent rot to some extent. Just wondering if I can get a stack of 2.4m 75 x 75s in the car (oh how I miss the last one, that could take a bigger load!)

I can see Harry's proposition of using soffit board. It wouldn't rot and you can get it in other colours from some sources, though I think it wouldn't be as rigid as T+G, so the frame would have to be much sturdier, with more uprights to nail it to. Of course, it wouldn't rot, so that would be a bonus....

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

If you just want quick and light, you could go with fence panels. The wiki sheds article discusses various optins, including using posts as bases. You can also lay slabs without hardcore, just put them on sand on compacted earth. There are so many options... that article lists many of them.

NT

Reply to
NT

Our shed is on 3 x 3 fence posts more or less directly on the ground. There is the odd brick or stone under them here and there but nothing particularly consistent. Decent quality treated posts won't rot under a shed, the air flow will keep them and the shed floor pretty dry.

Wouldn't look very nice IMHO and I'm a little confused a bout the lack of security aspect. Wouldn't take much of kick or whack with hammer to bash through a bit of shiplap or panelling. uPVC soffit the hammer will just bounce off...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice