Shed roofing felt

Any recommendations for roofing felt for a shed? It will have a new ply roof, so it's a question of what to put on it. I'm after something better than shed felt, which usually ends up in the middle of the lawn a couple of years later, but I'm not going to torch on felt with buckets of molten bitumen, so something inbetween. How good is the cold tar-like felt adhesive? Can you use it to put on more than one layer of felt?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Torch on does not require buckets of bitumen. You just need to cut to length, roll it up and then heat it with a torch as you unroll it. Its pretty much all I use for any felting these days. If you get the rubberised "modified" bitumen its pretty tough and durable stuff.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have always used the tins of felt adhesive put on 3 layers, overlapping by about 3 inches, and alternated the direction of lay. Lasts for years.

Reply to
Old Codger

What do you do with the bitumen - spread (melt?) it on the wood first?

What sort of torch - I presume a bog-standard plumbing blowlamp is going to be too small?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've used shed felt just nailed but it doesn't last in our gales and driving rain, I've refelted twice in 13 years. It's not failing at the nails, it's just wearing out.

I've now got permission to use Oduline, or similar, corrugated bituminised sheet. It's supposed to have a 20 year life... Need to look closely at the installation instructions, I do have concerns about the wind getting under it. The wind has taken the whole roof off and deposited it 25 yards away across the road on another occasion it's rolled the entire (empty) shed upside down as a complete unit:

Dave Liquorice

Permission? Is your shed listed or something :-)

My felt has worn out at the nails, I hate these sort of jobs where it feels you've only just done it and yet it needs doing again. I've done the battening, and was hoping to fit the Onduline yesterday, but the weather had other opinions, thankfully I did manage to fit a tarp over it last night, which has had a couple of drenchings already ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, it already bonded to the back of the felt.

Like this:

Play the heat across the back of the felt, (it has a plastic film which disperses), and partly on the roof... sticks like the proverbial to the blanket. Fixed as soon as it is cooled, and no titting about with cans of messy black gloop.

One where you can stick a bigger head on it - say inch and a half to 2 inch. The big long handled torches help, but are not essential for small areas like a shed.

Reply to
John Rumm

SWMBO'd shed...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Andrew Gabriel scribbled...

Can't beat tin sheets.

Reply to
Artic

I'm an enthusiastic recommender of Onduline. The material costs against a proper 3 layer felt job are near enough the same; the life span is probably about the same, but the real winner for me is that I can do in an afternoo n what would take 3 times as long at least for felt, with no mess, no strug gling with rolls and flapping material, and no danger of setting things on fire. I also suspect that removal and replacement will be easier than strip ping off old felt.

I covered my now 7 year old 'new' workshop with it - and last summer put it over the deteriorating felt on the old workshop and then the log shed too. This last one might give me bother as the pitch is shallow and the substra te a bit soft in places.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Yup, Onduline is good. Beware of Corruline - looks the same but is thinner and possibly too flexible to lift a sheet to the roof on your own. I got the Onduline from Wickes 5 years ago. Last time I looked, a couple of years ago, the sheets seemed thinner and were labelled as corrugated bitumen sheet or similar. Corruline does need a bit of 'maintenance' to last the claimed life of 15 years, but seems to be just removing moss ect. a couple of times a years.

Reply to
PeterC

I was just about to ask about Coroline as that is the stuff Screwfix sell (but only in bulk). It is cheaper than the Wickes stuff. No mention that I can find on the Aerial Plastics web site of the thickness. That site does have a "handy how mnay sheets/fixing do I need?" guides.

Yes, I'm sure it was being sold as branded Onduline a few years back now it is sold unbranded. It is stated by Wickes as being 3mm thick the same as the Ondulines sites says for real Onduline. Wickes use the phrase "trade quality" which makes me nervous. B-)

Hum, the plot thickens. "Find Stockists" on the Onduline site lists Travis Perkins and Wickes only for Cumbria. County Durham has Keyline Builders Merchants in addition to TP and W. Northumberland is TP only.

On the TP site I can only find Coroline...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I got mine from

they were £1.50/sheet more expensive than Wickes price per sheet, but free delivery, which solved my dilemma of how to get it home without damaging it or having to lash-up some sort of custom carrier for the roofrack.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can.

But the neighbours will start complaining about the noise.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

So is this be best option for my newly replaced flat shed roof? Or is one of the self-adhesive felts or single piece butyl going to be easier and just as long lasting?

Reply to
Andrew May

Never tried a self adhesive felt so can't really comment. The torch on systems are as good as traditional hot pour system IMHO. Butyl liners may give you a longer life still, but are a bit more tricky to apply.

Reply to
John Rumm

I take it a torch on system could be applies with a standard small propane tank and a rented torch. Doubt if my plumbing torch would provide the power needed.

Reply to
Andrew May

On Thursday 08 August 2013 08:35 Andrew May wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Nowhere near. And the flame is wrong - you need a large wafty flame, not a small extremely hot one.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yup, for smaller sections I use something like:

with one of the larger two heads on it, running of a small 4.7kg propane cylinder.

However, something like:

is cheap enough to buy for the job...

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks. Although I might be tempted by something like

if it would be get used for weed control.

Reply to
Andrew May