Shed in garden - Planning permission ?

plenty, can have even

I'm sure permitted development sates you can go right to the boundary, but no closer than 5 metres to the main house.

Reply to
IMM

That's what I am hoping is the case .........

Nick

Reply to
froggers

"Paul King" wrote

Gawd. I want to butt a wooden shed to within 6" of the neighbours fence. 1 metre (as it's combustible) scuppers my plans completely.

'non combustible' ?? ok, so apart from brick (don't want to use this) or metal (neither) what are my other building material options that will allow me to get closer to the fence ?

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Well our shed sits in the back right corner, behind the garage. It is joined on 'tother side of the fence by two similar neigbouring sheds. It is wooden but then so is the fence, but it is 5m from the house. I expect it is the 5m from the house and being combustible bit that matters. Ours is fairly new and was not flagged in the survey whereas the extension permission (done post facto) was.

Our neighbours on one side have a wooden garage that is at best 1.5m from their house and about 2.5 metres from ours (our garage intervenes, concrete sectional) but it looks almost as old as the houses (mid '60s Barratt) so probably went up prior to regs being changed. It gets used mostly as a cricket net.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

This was what I was getting at. I made a cabin with an apex roof at

18 degrees and IIRC it's under 3m high for a 3m sq. building.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

But that could've been 4m, right?

Reply to
Grunff

I built a 12x12 workshop with a tiled apex roof from dense concrete blocks and then painted them sandstone. Kept it 2 feet from two bouncary fences for maintenance (of said fences and building).

HTH

Paul

Reply to
Paul King

1m or 2m distance from boundaries can't be right for sheds. A quick look around here shows that every single shed is within about 0.5m of a boundary, whether they're new sheds or old. I've never heard of anyone round here being told to move a shed away from a boundary.

If it's within 5m of your property then different rules apply, and it'll also be counted as part of your dwelling for calculations on permitted development.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

If its within 5 metres of the main house PP may be required. Yes, for a shed.

Reply to
IMM

Yes it could. Point was that most sheds that you see tend to have a steeper pitch roof and so for a larger area shed you quickly reach 4m. I didn't want to do that anyway, preferring to have something not too much higher than the 2m fence. The cabin idea has achieved that quite well.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well yes, but I was primarily pointing out that the minimum distance from boundary fence cant be an issue otherwise 99.9% (est) of garden sheds are probably illegal.

So lets forget about the 5m from dwelling bit and concentrate on the boundary distance issue (to be explicit, "for a shed that is more than 5m from the dwelling").

Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Yes please - boundary distance issue only, especially if anyone has direct experience with Hart Council (N.E. Hants) and sheds and how touchy they might be - I am only looking at a shed, more than 5M from the house and with a sloping roof less than

3M high at the back of the property and invisible from the road and just about anyone else come to that.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
froggers

"froggers" wrote

Heh, this is exactly what i'm doing, and the same council area (Farnboro') :)

But my neighbour can be a bit pernickerty as he's already moaning about the height of my Apex roof garage (pre existed before my ownership). He'd love to get the council in if I infract any PP guidelines next to his fence :/

Cheers,

P.

Reply to
Zymurgy

In message , froggers writes

I built a shed 4m x 3m in celcon blocks with a mono pitched roof a couple of years ago. It was built more than 5m from the house and about

0.5 m from the boundary. One of the neighbours complained and I had a visit from the local friendly planning officer, I explained that it was within the planning guidelines. About a week later got a letter saying that it was out of the remit of planning. This is in Aldershot, (Rushmoor council), don't know about Hart Planning but Hart Building Control have a reputation for being strict.
Reply to
Danny Burns

I think you mean "permitted development guidelines". As I understand it: 5 metres from main house, no more than 4 metres high at highest to lowest point on the ground. It can go right up to the boundary. Your permitted development may not be there, as in some cases a deal was struck with the builders, and permitted development was rescinded for ever. Also the area of the building of permitted development may vary. Some authorities have the garage as a part of permitted development, others do not. This means if the garage is a part you have little scope to build.

Nevertheless, your block shed would have come under building control. Did you notify them? If not then the neighbour could make matters difficult for you, if he knew of course. Is your block shed an eyesore? If so then you are only making maters difficult for yourself. If it is an eyesore, then clad the exterior with foam insulation and cedar wood over that, with nice tiles on the roof. Then you have a selling point and all are happy.

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

yes I did mean "permitted development guidelines". I don't have a problem with planning I was simply answering the previous posters query regarding a shed on a boundary and telling my experiences with the local council.

I am aware that it would come under building control, but no I didn't inform them. The building was built according to the building regs though.

No it's not an eyesore, I've rendered and painted it and it has nice tiles on the roof. The neighbour in question has now moved.

Reply to
Danny Burns

The neighbour obviously didn't know about building control, and if he did he could have made matters very difficult for you, to the point of insisting it be pulled down.

That is a plus point. Far too many rear sheds are lashed up, are total eyesores and deserve to be pulled down. I don't blame neighbours complaining. I saw a rear shed that looked like a mini Tudor house and added value to the rear of the house. Very cheap and simple to do with exterior black painted timbers and render and black tutor style windows.

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

You got me thinking on this one so I pulled out some info I got from my Local Authority, and found this.

Examples of buildings which are exempt from control under the Building Regulations

Small detached buildings comprising either:

? a single storey building of not more than 30m2 floor area;

additional conditions that must be met

Must not contain sleeping accommodation; and must either be at least 1m from the boundary of the site or be constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

OR

? a building which does not have a floor area larger than 15m2.

additional conditions that must be met

Must not contain sleeping accommodation.

So in summary a building under 15m2 does not have to be 1m from a boundary and a building over 15m2 but under 30m2 has to be at least 1m from a boundary or made from non-combustible material in order to be exempt from building control regulations.

So it appears I am OK in this respect as celcon block-work is non-combustible.

Reply to
Danny Burns

Did I get that right? It can be on the boundary using blocks, but 1 metre away if made of wood.

Reply to
IMM

You're in luck. Your mate Johnny Twojags has written a children's guide to the building regulations.

Download and look at the bottom of page 49.

Adults may prefer to look at the Statutory Instrument 2000, No. 2531

Section 9 exempts certain types of building, listed in Schedule 2 from building control. In the schedule, sheds are covered by Class VI (small detached buildings). Items 1 and 3 apply here as Danny has deduced.

So it is relatively easy to satisfy the requirements of both building and planning legislation even with quite a large outside detached building.