Shed Fixing

I've just bought and installed a new garden shed for my back garden - the plastic variety made by Keter, 8x6x7 ft.

Now I've got to fix it to the ground so that high winds don't make it take off.

I've mounted the shed on paving slabs, these having been laid on a flat lawn. One thought I had was to bolt the shed to the paving slabs because they are pretty damned heavy and unlikely to get tossed around in the wind. However I'm not sure that this would be good enough, so the other alternative is to go thru the paving slabs into the soil underneath. This could involve putting some concreted holes into the ground which can take fixing points.

It's no problem for me to move the shed to carry out this work, and then put the shed back.

Thoughts anyone?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

P.R.Brady

You may be on the wrong track there. I have a 20ft by 10ft timber shed full of benches and tools, but it still bounced like a bouncy castle in high winds. I thought that it might be due to the aerofoil effect from the sloping roof: the overhead pressure is less than the internal, and underneath, causing a lifting effect.

I blocked off the underside, left windows open and have had no further problems, even in the most severe weather; and we've had a fair bit of that in the 15 years since I did it.

Of course, yours is smaller and lighter so may need additional tying down.

Tony.

Omit cymru to email.

Reply to
Tony

I got a reply from Keter today, after sending them an email last night (very good service!).

Basically their support guy says that bolting the shed to 8 paving slabs is fine, so job done.

Now I just have to wait for the typhoon season..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP