shed door

Hi all. I plan to build a shed door from 28mm thick oak timber (varying widths

94mm - 120mm).

Questions :

Should I biscuit and ledger them together?

or

Just ledger?

I figure on fitting a 5 lever mortice with padlock but I would need to reinforce back and front with steel. Do you know where I could source 2 pieces of 1/4" plate about 6 - 8" square?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

Hi all. I plan to build a shed door from 28mm thick oak timber (varying widths

95mm - 120mm).

Questions :

Should I biscuit and brace them together?

or

Just brace?

I figure on fitting a 5 lever mortice and double up with a padlock but I would need to reinforce back and front with steel.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

Normal is T & G and brace.. that keeps them draught free when they shrink..

Forget biscuits..they will rip them out. Bolts and braces is my best advice, though screws may hold. The force a swelling bit of oak exerts is phenomenal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks.

To allow for expansion I will use coach bolts and drill the holes a shade larger than necessary. Good enough ?

Arthur

Reply to
51

No need to drill larger.. just bolt it all up tight. The wood will go into compression that's all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher