Shed

Is there a height restriction on a garden shed or similar which is placed close to a property boundary?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

Speak to a planning officer at your local authority planning department and or look at their website There are some height, placement and distance from boundary restrictions.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

When I built a timber garage with a brick dwarf wall, it had to be 1m inside the boundary. Then a 4m height restriction without pp.

mark

Reply to
mark

See

- this covers both planning and building regs. Note the different building regs. for up to 15sq m floor area and up to 30sq m. floor area and the differences if you are building from 'substantially non-combustible materials'.

You will need to comply with a mixture of planning and building regs. - it has become quite confusing following the latest act.

For your specific question:

"# Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of

2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof. # Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse."

This is, of course, to build without having to submit an application for planning or building regs approval. With approval I presume much more is possible.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I nearly did that today, all lines busy unfortunately. Just bought a new garden shed, well a 10' metal shipping container actually. I think I should be OK, neighbours don't mind, infact one of them is popping around with a JCB to dig out a base for it. But I do want to check with planning before I put it in place. All I need to do then is figure out what sort of wooden cladding to put on the outside to make it look pretty!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bill

Right. This is a sort of gazebo. Hexagonal with a pointy roof. The top of which I'd guess is some 3.5 metres. And less than 0.5 metre from the boundary.

Would any planning application be notified to those the other side of the boundary?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For most types of application, specific neighbour notification and/or a public notice displayed at the site is a standard part and purpose of the procedure to allow affected parties to consider and make representation if appropriate.

I assume a gazebo would be classified as an outbuilding:-

Toom Tabard

Snag with that is it's in a different street. And most affected by it might never go there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it is wooden construction then I think you would contravene both planning and building regs. I keep getting confused over all this, but I think under 15sq m internal floor area must still be 0.5m from the boundary if there is any chance of it catching fire. As you are less than 2m from the boundary you are outside the planning guidelines as well. "Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse."

Curtilage is a wierd word - (sound like a west country version of gristle) and I only found out about it when looking at details for a house which came with extra land outside the curtilage which (in this particlular case) limited what you could do with the extra land.

I think that any planning application would be notified to all your immediate neighbours including those at the bottom of your garden - but best to check with planning themselves.

If nobody objects and nobody official notices then after a while you should be O.K. (I think) - but one nosey or grumpy person could result in you having to move it or pull it down.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Neighbour means neighbour to the installation site. Don't know specifics in England, but in Scotland it would be all those within a certain distance of the installation site. And public display location (s) can be a black art, but is usually where those likely to be affected would see it.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

=A0 London SW

Try using an on line dictionary - far quicker, more reliable and considerably more extensive ;

robgraham

spell checker?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

French legalese. "A piece of land cut off to form a Courtyard"

It's a legal term to describe a (possibly walled) enclosure without a roof on it's own land but associated with a house and benefiting from the same protection as the house for legal purposes.

Can be within the house or outside it, or even seperate altogether.

Important in American law when it comes to tresspassers getting shot.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Can i ask you where you bought a metal shipping container to use as a shed please?

Reply to
john royce

Search Google.... define: curtilage

It's in loads of dictionaries.

mark

Reply to
mark

And the one at the top of the list here is this one :-

rest my case. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's not me who's building it. It would take up most of my garden. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , john royce writes

I found mine at a local mechanics workshop on a farm where he had been using it for storage, there were also a couple of 20' ones in an auction centre in Bedford last week that went for £750:00 each.

Reply to
Bill

From memory, it needs to be 1m or more away from the boundary if made from combustible material (a rule almost universally ignored IME), and can be up to 3m high with a pent roof, or 4m to the top of an apex roof.

Reply to