Sheating underneath the rafters in the loft?

Hello,

my loft is nice and dry, and I would like to use it better mainly for storage. The only problem is that it's a bit dangerous to move around as the roof tiles (slate) is nailed to plywood, and there are literally thousands of quite long, sharp nails sticking through the plywood. (The roofers did exaggerate a bit when they did the roof...)

I was thinking of just lining the underside of the rafters with either plywood or plasterboard, while ensuring that air still can move freely underneath the plywood that the tiles are fastened to.

Any ideas/opinions/resources that I could use to make sure that I don't use any incorrect materials, don't fall foul of the building regs, and don't cause any future problems like dampness/rot etc.?

Thanks in advance!!!

Reply to
oh-news

If it's purely to stop you hitting the nails, you could just tack hardboard onto the rafters - I would use the white stuff rather than the brown as it reflects a bit more light so makes it easier to move around.

You would have a gap behind the sheets then, and could leave a decent gap top and bottom, even between the sheets.

The alternative (IMO) is to fit extra insulation - no more effort, though a fair bit more cash, but if you've not got much already it might pay for itself, and if you're storing (e.g.) books in cardboard boxes they'll like the extra warmth.

A vapour barrier could be fitted under any insulation in the loft floor, assuming there isn't one already - that would keep the dampness in the house which is warm and can handle it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I think that this will be totally fine actually....the ventilation requirements for the rafters will not change, and the only issue is arms damp air coming up from inside the hose and condensing inside the plywood..if that is ventilated as well, you are there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher