shavers only socket in bathroom

> But a one gang type doesn't have an isolating transformer. Or rather I've

More a case of dual voltage that is the indicator of a transformer (and the weight)

Reply to
John

I'd guess the dual voltage comes near free with a transformer - but I doubt there is room for a transformer in any standard size 1 gang box.

A 2 gang deep one specially for shaver sockets is quite a snug fit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The £80 one quoted by the OP is a neat small 1 gang fitting for bathrooms ..... the transformer is separate and has to be separately mounted. Not a bad soultion for neatness, if a tad expensive,

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Exactly. This is the one I had seen. I am not going to install one without an isolating transformer in the business area of a bathroom. I have no spare tiles and am dubious about enlarging the hole. Solution at the moment is to charge the toothbrush up in another room every couple of weeks. Probably better for the battery anyway!

Reply to
Invisible Man

Ah. Right. It would be far cheaper to buy a non isolated 1 gang type and an isolated 2 gang and use that transformer - unless you must have the dual voltage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get a 1 gang non isolated and a standard 2 gang isolated and use that to isolate the one gang one. Total cost under 30 quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
John

Caution:

Take Care - many have a switch on the primary side which is operated when the plug is inserted. (otherwise the primary would be constantly live)

Reply to
John

Quote from an MK spec.

Insertion of a shaver plug automatically switches on the shaver socket by energising the primary side of the isolating transformer - removal automatically switches off.

My Legrand has the same mechanism :

Double wound isolating transformer Automatic self-resetting overload feature Plug insertion operates microswitch which energises transformer

Reply to
John

And many don't. A doorbell transformer is permanently live, after all. A well designed transformer will draw virtually no current with no load on the secondary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't think I've ever seen one which didn't. Even a no-name from screwfix for under a fiver some years back does.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

None of the ones on here have a switch.

've just replaced the one in my bathroom with a chrome one during a re-fit. The old one is some 25 years old - and neither have a switch. However I wired it to the switched side of the lights originally so in my case it doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)