shavers only socket in bathroom

i have one in here, and am soon going to redecorate the room, i have never used it. it says crabtree 115v 230v. can i remove it safely? what would i do with the wiring? cheers

Reply to
benpost

it will be *probably* connected to your upstairs lighting circuit but check before removing anything. I just removed the shaver faceplate, disconnected the wiring and put into a choc block and taped it to the inside of the back box.

Reply to
Slider

Apologies, ignore my previous post above. I mis-read, I thought you wanted to remove it whilst decorating not permanently.

Reply to
Slider

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:53:52 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be benpost wrote this:-

I think that the question indicates that you do not have suitable skills to do this yourself.

If there is a pressing reason to remove it (why not just leave it there?) then someone with suitable skills would probably trace the wiring back to an accessory, disconnect the cable and then pull it out of the wall.

Reply to
David Hansen

well i dont think they are used very much anymore are they? i know how to switch off all the circuits, so i guess if i do this then take off the faceplace and see if i can locate where the wiring goes..

Reply to
benpost

The wire will *probably* go to the ceiling rose in that same room.

Reply to
Slider

No it doesn't

The OP is to be commended for asking here instead of just going ahead and doing something possibly with dire consequences .How did any of us learn how to do something without asking .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

They're handy for charging electric toothbrushes.

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Yes - for charging that rechargeable razor or toothbrush, etc. Most have 'razor' two pin plugs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:24:13 +0100 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote this:-

You know the other person and their electrical skills? Fascinating. Unless you have such knowledge then you have made an interesting assertion. I'll stick with my thoughts though.

Note very carefully that I gave an indication of what a person with suitable skills is likely to do. The OP might be able to gather suitable skills after informing themself. I didn't claim that they would never have suitable skills, though that is the implication in your posting.

If you wish to make even more of a fool of yourself then that is up to you, oh unknown one.

Reply to
David Hansen

I hope you are not so far up your arse in real life as you come across on here ...

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

The socket is a real asset - if not to you, then the next owner will appreciate it. An estate agent would possibly even make a point of the existence of the socket. I use mine for my toothbrush and for charging my USA 120 volt Shaver.

They are quite costly - so if you do get rid of it you may get a few quids for it.

Reply to
John

I would consider if it is really wise to remove it, since they can be useful.

If you still want to remove it, you have a few options. The neatest would be to find where the socket connects back to the supply - probably a ceiling rose as others have suggested - but could also be a fused spur unit in the room or an adjacent one. Disconnect it there. There is no requirement to actually strip out the cable - especially if it is plastered in. Once the cable to the socket is isolated you can fill in the backbox without needing to leave the cable end available for inspection or needing a blanking plate to indicate the presence of buried live cable.

Reply to
John Rumm

When, given the task in hand, even someone with no previous knowledge or skills can be elevated to sufficiently competent with just a few lines of instruction, what is the point in posting a pointless willy waving response like this?

Reply to
John Rumm

You can't type replies containing such personal abuse

Reply to
geoff

Careful ...I got slagged for suggesting something similar earlier .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Look who it's from ....

Reply to
Huge

The message

from benpost contains these words:

Why remove it?

They're usually considered an asset and they're being used more and more.

Granted, mains-only men's electric razors aren't quite so common as they were but

  • these sockets can be used for recharging rechargeable models
  • almost as many women as men are now using electric razors
  • electric toothbrushes are extremely common.

Leave it in position.

Reply to
Appin

Agreed. We could do with one for our electric toothbrush. There is a single blanking plate in our fully tiled bathroom covering an opening into the boxed in area around the soil pipe. I could run a mains cable to this area but a single size shaver socket costs about GBP80.

Reply to
Invisible Man

a one gang type doesn't have an isolating transformer. Or rather I've never seen one which does. However if you have an existing one gang box into a boxed in area it wouldn't be too difficult to enlarge the hole for a two gang one - even if tiled.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)