Shaver sockets adaptors and 13amp plugs and extensions

I would really like someone to produce a proper shaver socket extension cord. At the moment if I want to charge the battery in a shaver I need to shove it into an adaptor in a 13 amp socket, then the curly lead is far too short to reach anything sensible in a bedroom etc. Add to that the modern tendency to use two different pin diameters for shavers, thus making many adaptors less than good connections unless you wedge a house brick on the plug to push it to one side. So at the weekend I got an old lead from a dead shaver of the old type and wired a 13 amp plug on the end. a bit fiddly as the wires in those curly leads are not very meaty to say the least, but at least I can now charge it without the adaptor that I got from the remaindered sale at Comet last year, and it truly is rubbish, no fuse, and just a few bits of bent p brass inside, with ashuter sprung by a bent bit of plastic.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Try a 2 pin to 13Amp converter

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That's for adapting a 2 pin Euro plug. I think British shaver plugs have slightly fatter pins, not sure if they'd fit very well.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I thought you were supposed to be blind! Radar? Practice?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Is that not just a shaver adaptor though, I cannot see the picture obviously, but I'vehad my share of those. Let us have a three foot piece of straight wire with a 13a plug suitably fused at on end and two bespoke sockets on the other for the two shaver plug types. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have two remmingtons here, one is the older type with the fatter pins and mains direct to the shaver, the other has a kind of oblong box and thinner pins with presumably low voltage coming out on the curly lead. the plugs and sockets at the shaver end are different of corse, the latter is polarised, the former is not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I am blind and yes as long as there is no polarity issues and a wire stripper is to hand it can be done by feel very easily, trust me. Likewise I am also good at repairing cassette tapes for the same reason. My tactile imaging is pretty good, and my hands still steady. Just cos you are blind does not mean you sit around waiting for a pair of working eyes all week. There are ways around things. I am told that in the US somebody has designed an add on to one of those colour detectors to test the sleaving colour of wire, so maybe in future i can do my ownwiring as well. I can certainly put rawl plugs in walls etc and we have talking tape measures, so please do not be too dismisive.

Still not sure I'd want to wire uk stuff with the weird colours we use here, striped leads might just be too much for a colour detector.

grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No,

It's one of those funky 13A plugs that flip open, so you can lay a 2 pin plug in flat, and close the 13A lid. Making what is practically a 13A plug on the end of the original lead.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Quite. The brain/body can develop all sorts of abilities if it has to (not that everyone couldn't, but we don't necessarily need to )

It was interesting to see a couple of years ago about the blind guy who had really honed his echo location skills (I imagine most blind people use sound to varying extents).

I saw something on TV about it and he was describing what a rich picture of the world he could build up.

Reply to
Chris French

Might be easier to try and fine a second charger with a 13 amp wall wart. You could then keep the 2 pin one in the bathroom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)