Shaver point and illuminated mirror in bathroom

I need to move a shaver point from one wall to another and install an illuminated mirror above it in the bathroom. I assume Part P applies.

The present shaver point has a light built in and is wired straight off the lighting circuit. Would this be acceptable in the new location or should it be on a fused spur? If so, can the FCU be in the bathroom close up to the ceiling or must it be outside?

Yes - assuming you are in England or Wales and it's a domestic bathroom.

No FCU is required. Shaver supply units can be wired straight into a lighting circuit.

Make sure that the shaver point contains an isolating transformer as it is going into a bathroom.

John

Reply to
John White

Definitely. Consider using a small mirror heater pad as well. Great things and not that expensive. Switch it with the mirror light.

The present shaver point has a light built in and is wired straight off

It is acceptable straight off the circuit.

You don't need one.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Good! I was going to wire it (have it wired!) from the switched side of the illuminated mirror so that it came on when the mirror light was on - I assume that if it's wired in directly to the lighting circuit it'll be drawing current all the time?

Screwfix 61532. No mention of an isolating transformer. I assumed (not always a good idea, I know) it would be ok as shaver sockets are fitted in bathrooms...

Thanks for the help.

fluorescent lights built in behind the mirror. I'll investigate to see if I can get the heater pad in there.

Thanks for the help and suggestion.

It will, but the consumption is negligible - about the same as a doorbell transformer.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Nope. It will draw almost no current when not in use. No need to run it from a switched circuit.

It does have one. Clues that it has a transformer are that it has multi-voltage and is the size of a double socket (but much deeper). Non isolated ones are the size of a light switch and are 230V only.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

into a

side of

it'll be

Some Shaver sockets are designed for use in dressing rooms etc. (or outside the UK), these units do not have the 1:1 transformer and no auto switching - both a UK requirement.

Reply to
Jerry

Ah! I had seen the transformer but didn't know that it was an isolating transformer. You learn something new every day. Thanks.

To answer this specific point (even though in this case you don't need one), yes FCUs can be use in a bathroom in Zone 3 (or outside the zones if the room is that big).

Reply to
John Rumm

They can also be fitted in bedrooms where an isolating transformer isn't mandatory. I'd check if I were you. Cost is often a guide - isolated ones cost quite a bit more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)