Shave/plane glass?

I bought some glass, but it's about 1mm too tall. (It would take a long dull paragraph to explain everything, so I'll skip that.) It's thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of the sides. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

If it's to go in a wooden frame, could you shave a bit of the frame away?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , rpgs rock dvds writes

I have used an oil stone to take off sharp edges but 1mm sounds a tall order. One of those diamond impregnated tool sharpeners perhaps?

I doubt this is an obvious angle grinder job:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Only way to do that is to grind it down.

NT

Reply to
NT

essentially no.

Especiially if toughened.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Take it back to the supplier (or a good glazier, like Roman Glass in Bristol) and have them grind it down on their belt grinder. This is easy (for people who have glass-working belt grinders)

You can also do it yourself with a coarse carborundum stone, ideally working under water. I detest this job, particularly on anything big.

1mm is big for grinding by hand.

Otherwise stretching the frame is probably easier.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have a grown-up explain the differences between "laminated" and "toughened" to you.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Pilkington can do it. I doubt that you could at home. If you could, you'd be the sort of person who makes his own telescope lenses and mirrors and you'd know what to do. As others have said, if it's toughened glass, which is probably is, then all bets are off.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks a lot for all replies. I'm going to contact the supplier first thing in the morning, and ask if I can take the 3 glass sheets back in for grinding. Just for a bit of extra info/interest - it's 10.8mm acoustic stadip silence glass. This is laminate glass, but I think the "filling" has special acoustic properties. (BTW, it's not possible to alter the frame in any way.)

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

oops. miised that bit..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Please get back with the price. A like a good laugh.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Perhaps you could do so? I have several pieces of laminated glass which are toughened. i.e. the laminate is a sheet of toughened glass, the polymer then a sheet of non-toughened glass.

It's all very well to get snotty about these things, but you had better be sure of the grounds on which you build your heap of snot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes it can be done at home and without the help of Pilks.

A totally inane statement from someone who has no knowledge of the subject.

You are also unable to accurately read a post, the glass was stated as

*LAMINATED* , which is an entirely different method of manufacture [1] - and as a result, "all bets" are *ON* - simply grind it using a diamond or carborundum stone (powered or manual). Just ensure that the glass is lying on a flat surface and take care and time in doing it. [1] Very simply put (and you can google it to get detailed information):

TOUGHENED glass is heat-treated to set up internal stresses - and

*cannot* be worked after.

LAMINATED glass has a plastic interleave between two pieces of glass - and *can* be worked after.

Good day to you.

Falco

Reply to
Falco

So it's not going to be cheap then? The 3 sheets are all 600mm x

848mm. I need the 848mm side ground down to 847mm, for each sheet. Do you think it will cost more than =A350?
Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

Not so - I have worked with glass for years and never seen such a hybrid.

I think you had better take your own advice.

Falco

Reply to
Falco

Is this something that I can buy from my local hardware store (or possibly ebay)? Would I need to be careful about ventilation, because of glass particles in the air? I think if my glass supplier says to bring in the sheets, and they can do it for less than =A350, I'm tempted to go for that approach, because I'm incredibly busy ATM, and would like the glass ground down ASAP.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

Although its unusual, I think that such composites exist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll be surprised if you can get it done for £50. The last quote that I had for scratch removal from glass was £150, this was for a minor scratch that was simply bloody irritating and was much less than 1mm deep. To skim 1mm off three sheets of glass seems like a major undertaking.

I'm really surprised that it's not easier to adjust the frame. What is stopping you?

Reply to
Steve Firth

you can now admit that you were talking bollocks?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Then you've never owned a car because most cars nowadays have inner toughened glass, exterior plain glass for the windscreen. I suspect some are going to toughened glass both sides to reduce pedestrian lacerations. It's well-proven technology. It's also used extensively in safety laminated glass for domestic use (link provided elsewhere).

One assumes from your cockwitted comment that you're another glazier with pretensions of competence.

Reply to
Steve Firth