sharpening chisels

For a £1 that's exactly what I was looking for and expecting. They turned out to be quite the opposite.

-
Reply to
Mark

Hello. Sorry for the late reply. I'm a bit embarrassed that I mentioned angle grinders. I had not appreciated that a bench grinder and angle grinder rotated at different speeds.

I knew an angle grinder was not the way to go because it seems you would need three hands to do the job: two to hold the angle grinder and one to hold the chisel. Clamping the angle grinder is dangerous but so too would be clamping a chisel with the pointy bit (however blunt) sticking up. I knew there had to be a better way, hence my post.

Some people seem to be for doing it all by hand, others suggest a bench grinder. I'm not sure if there's a clear majority one way or the other.

Some posts were concerned that the grinder would overheat the chisel. Is this only the case if it is a dry grind? Does a wet grind prevent this?

Merry Christmas.

Reply to
invalid.address

You can grind dry & just dunk the chisel in water every now & then to keep it cool.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman