Sharpen cutter blocks on shaver

Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes all morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter blocks. Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate amount.

Reply to
john brook

Possibly toothpaste - but not the gel type, of course.

Reply to
PeterC

Not sure about Bruan but you can buy a little kit for the philips triple rotary try ebay and see whats on offer.

Reply to
SS

I had some success when I used this type of shaver by putting a small amount of jewellers rouge in the head and running it for a few seconds.

Reply to
Ericp

Well I once went to the expense of buying a replacement head and blade for a Braun and noticed not one whit of difference in its shaving ability. Any way I thought they were suppose to be self sharpening ?

Are you sure the problem isn't an advance in years (of you). I now find there is an area to either side of my wind pipe that I find well nigh impossible to shave close. Old age I reckon.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

I would say it's the foil that's lost its edge.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I would say it's the foil that's lost its edge.

MBQ

With regards to the application of an abrasive (toothpaste and jewellers rouge) i would like to understand the theory behind that recommendation.

It seems to me it is accelerationg the kind of friction (lateral motion of block against foil) that caused the wear in the first place.

Reply to
john brook

What makes an electric razor blunt is shearing a fairly tough, abrasive substance between the two parts of the cutter. Have a look at the edges of the foil on the blunt one, and you'll see that they're distorted and rounded, as is the edge of the moving part to a lesser extent. The foil has to be thin for a close shave, which makes it fragile. I prefer the Philips round heads every time for their closeness of shave and robustness. I've never had one fail on me yet, while I've had many of the Braun type fail in quite painful ways, normally involving a bloomin' gurt 'ole in the foil.

Reply to
John Williamson

----------------------

FWIW the philips heads vary a fair bit. The very old ones are significantly more robust, and since they lack the lift and cut feature theyre less likely to cause skin problems.

NT

Reply to
NT

I have found a way to do this. You take the cutter block out and glide it over a stone you would use to sharpen a knife. It does work but not for weeks not months. I also use wd 40 as lubricant. Let me know if you are interested.

Reply to
rstaples

A blast from the past again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This works for me. first clean the block with liquid soap and hot water and dry it. Put (say|) half a teaspoon of "T CUT" in the palm of your hand. hold the shaver and lightly press it into your hand and switch on, maybe for 60 secs. You will note that the "T CUT" which is a sandy colour, will turn grey - that is metal removed in the sharpening process. Now hold the shaver into a mug of hot liquid soap and water to clean it up.

Reply to
Purwiz

I had Brauns for many years and got really fed up with replacing cutter blocks at exorbitant cost. So I went back to a Philips rotary (as I used decades ago). It took a couple of weeks to get me (and my face) used to it, but it's absolutely fine.

I've never had to replace screens or cutters, but I do sharpen the cutters with a purpose made sharpener every 3 months.

Reply to
Bob Eager

snipped-for-privacy@talktalk.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It will, I assume, be thinning the foil as well, so shortening its life.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

By sharpening the foil its increasng its life

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I rather prefer rotary head shavers - but the cost of replacement heads tends to be high. Rather like a new battery for a cordless tool.

How do you sharpen them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Google 'Vollco'. I believe I had to get them from Canada, but it was some years ago (same shaver and same sharpener since then!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Followup: buy directly from Vollco and it's about $25 including shipping.

Less than one set of cutters.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or for a UK supplier

(I haven't tried them, just came across it)

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

thanks, can i use toothpaste instead ? ;)

Reply to
bjarkiq