Share TV signal

Any useful advice very welcome for this problem!

TV aerial in loft Booster box in loft, sending signal to multiple rooms All OK, but now I've got cable TV coming into the living room (via subfloor) How can I get aerial in loft AND cable TV channel to each room without an extra cable between living room and loft?

Ta M1keC

Reply to
mike1c

Does the old loft aerial pick up more channels than the new cable supplies? If you use the old cable from your living room and turn it in reverse, then you already have a link to the loft.

Reply to
BigWallop

Not sure, but you may be able to multiplex stuff up it as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about doing it wirelessly one of those digisender - type devices? eg

or
once tried one and it worked OK except for interference by the microwave oven (because we specifically wanted it for the kitchen) - hence it went back

David

Reply to
Lobster

It depends on your requirement;- If you only want to send the signal off your cable set-top box to the rest of the room than poke the signal up to the booster-box. [one cable] Other things being equal, everybody in the house must watch the channel that the cable-box has selected.

If you want to continue to receive off-air broadcasts then you'll need to 'pull' the signals down from the TV aerial , combine them with the cable-box's then send them 'up' to the booster-box in the loft.[ two cables]

I used the latter system. There are advantages to using the two cable approach - a selected cable-box channel may be viewed in other rooms by tuning TV's to (say) channel #7, a VCR may be seen in other rooms by tuning TV's to (say) channel #6 - and a terrestrial channel may be recorded while a cable-box channel is selected.

I note that you've said " ...got cable' I've had Cable-TV removed and replaced by Sky- later updated to Sky+. , I'd seriously urge you not to have cable but opt for Sky. "Press the Red Button" ...hasn't been implemented on Cable. 'Advisors' try to say 'our research has shown that customers don't want to incur costs if children start to use interactive services', but this is hogs'swill. 'Red button' services include selectable news/weather/traffic/ DIY hints/ etc. etc." all at no charge to the viewer. The cable companies having invested zillions in providing the basic infrastructure are concentrating on acquiring a revenue-stream from 'what they've got' before further investment to provide extra utility to the customer which will not increase their revenue.

Off-cable. you're not getting a full service.

And you'll still need two cables ... probably :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Good. Don't want the f*cking thing anyway.

Rubbish. That's exactly why I don't want it.

Teletext.

*all* at no charge? I think not.

So you really believe that Sky are doing it for the love of their customers?

Don't get sky. Down with the evil empire. (in the interests of balance obviously)

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Where do you think the programming comes from on cable then?

You pay a premium for those services, so the value for money is often less good than with a direct Sky digital feed. There is also the point that the equipment is NOT your property on a cable connection. Stop paying and you are left with nothing. With Sky, the equipment will revert to a Freeview type package with no ongoing cost.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

If I "reverse" the cable from living room to loft and use another booster box, then won't all the other TVs pick-up one channel and that's whatevers being watched in the living room. Now if I could multiplex the single cable back to the loft, I could send the noraml broadcast signal and the selected cable channel to every room - this is the goal, but what "multiplex'g equipment is needed"?

ta m1kec

Reply to
mike1c

An ordinary passive Y adapter would do as long as the cable box output doesn't interfere with the aerial signal.

Reply to
Rob Morley