Shaping/joining carpet

Is it possible to shape and join carpet in a curve?

Ideally, I want to floor the kid's bedroom, and have a curved 'path' through it in a different colour.

Was planning to use carpet tiles, but the only ones I can find are horrible, thin, scratchy stuff - not really suitable. And a lot more expensive.

If I carpet the room, can I then cut a curved path out, and inlay a different colour carpet? If so, what's the best way to fix to the floor so it doesn't fray, and you can't really see the join? Does it matter what sort of carpet? (particularly the backing etc)

Reply to
Andrew Baker

Of course. Its more work though, and adds 4 new edges that can fray in the years ahead, making it possibly not last quite as long.

Really depends on the backing, and whether you're using underlay.

Tabby

I imagine the only way would be to put one on top of t'other & cut the shape through both at the same time.

Then use double sided carpet tape or hot melt to glue it down. 'Secondary backed' would be better than woven backed. Copdex stops edges fraying.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It sticks together surprisingly strongly with strips of sacking coated in copydex. One thing copydex does do very well. (I actually used old fashioned sacking pipe lagging, which I had to hand and was already in strip form)

Spamlet

Please could you tell me more about this? Our landing carpet is lifted to gain access to plumbing and each time it comes up, the edges get a little shorter!

I see you can get knee kickers from Screwfix et al. but tools never come with instructions for first-timers. How do you use a knee kicker? I know there is a dial on the top, what does it do and how do you know what to set it at?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Missing "y", TMH meant Copydex a latex in water rubbery type adhesive. Apply along the carpet edge and it stops bits falling off and helps prevent fraying. Try to keep application to the backing and lower ends of the pile.

The knob adjusts how far the points stick out of the plate. Adjust so that they project through the pile into the backing but not into the floor/underlay underneath.

'tis a bit thin on actual use, whack the head onto the carpet thump the padded end with your knee to stretch the carpet before pushing down onto the gripper rods.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just put copydex on teh backing at the edges, let dry and re-lay. Keep it off the pile. PVA also works, but dries stiffer so its especially important to keep it off the pile. It softens after being walked on several times.

not likely you'd need one.

NT

Reply to
Tabby