shame this is closing

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

sm_jamieson

the problem.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

What shop?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sorry Brian, the post includes a link to an artice titled:

Shelved after a century: Homewares shop that has not changed in 115 years closes down after being beaten by 'the modern age'.

The shop is The Period House Shop in Warwick.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

At what point did it change from Ye Moderne Ironne Fittynges Shoppe to The Period House Shop though?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah a bit like all the traditional hardware shops where you could actually go and look at things and measure them without being presented with blister packs and no way to know if what you bought was up to the job.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

at the Period House Shop's own website, it is clear that this company has only existed since 1985!

The shop may have existed as an ironmongers since eighteen-something-or-other - but not under that name. When I came to live just outside Warwick in the 1960's it was called Wyllie's - and was much bigger than the current shop, also occupying what is now a separate shop to the right of it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There is a hardware shop 5 minutes from my front door that is still like that. Bins full of loose nails - sold by the Kg, bins full of bolts + nuts, 50+ bins with screws that you can buy in 10s or boxes of 200, individual plumbing fittings, bath plugs etc. When purchasing electrical fittings they will ask if you want it cheap or quality(MK) - they stock both. Not the cheapest of places but always busy.

Reply to
alan

Looks like the sort of place you could buy 'four candles'.

mark

Reply to
mark

Similar near me...

I moved here, it took me a while to realise they stock just about everything, including lots of things I failed to find in the sheds.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They have none of those, but they do sell fork handles...

We've got one like that 5 minutes away too. Small shop with shelving close together to fit everything in - you have to come out from between the shelves to pass someone! Prices are actually very good - way, way cheaper than any chain. Unfortunately they aren't open on Sunday afternoons or Wednesdays - which I keep forgetting :(

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

and some 'ose

Reply to
Nthkentman

When I moved here, it took me a while to realise they stock just about

following that link leads to a page with 'above the fold':

Why not try... Profile image for Robert Dyas Holdings Ltd Robert Dyas Holdings Ltd

01252 623255 Ads by Google
Reply to
djc

I think they should have combined it with a traditional sweet shop.

"I'll have half a pound of 2 inch screws and a quarter of sherbets please". Would have gone down well if you didn't get the bags mixed up. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We used to have one like that but they kept changing their opening hours so I nearly always went there to find they were closed.

Now it's just the sheds with those damn blister packs.

Reply to
Mark

Seems to me that the ought to be trading on the web as well as in the shoppe. Oh they do:

whats this bit about being unable to compete against the web? Are they putting themselves out of business? And what about the two other shops?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No publicity is bad publicity ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
JTM

So, there's been AN ironmongery there on that site since eighteen-canteen, but it's not been in continuous ownership; indeed, it's not been the same business at all, really. Looks to me as if the present owner bought it to cash in on the emerging trend for repro-old-tat and it's now died out. He rode the wave and fell off, dude.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon