Shallow Switch Box

I have just fitted a double MK dimmer in place of a normal 2 gang switch.

It is a bit tight and I fear that the heat may cause problems as the wires are all crushed a bit.

Is there a spacer available that will bring the switch plate forward by about 5mm to give more space?

Having just decorated I don't want to change the box.

Reply to
John

The last time I noticed (my local) B&Q had wooden plinths in with the general electrical fittings. They should do what you want.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

MK certainly used to do an open frame that would do this - perhaps with some modification. I've not got an MK cat to hand, though.

Was larger than 5mm IIRC if this matters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IMHO If its in and working then leave well alone, the PVC can handle a fair bit of heat.

I have seen clear plastic plates which some peple use to protect rhe paint/paper around swithces (look a bit too much like a guesthouse to my taste). These will give you a bit of clearance. You may need to legthen the mounting screws if you do this. Socket ones might be just right but check they wont hit the back of the back box before they do up.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks Ed. With a bit of trimming of the earth wire (box to brass plate) and some tidying of the wires I have managed to get it fitting to my satisfaction. The shallow box was about 4 mm back from the face of the plaster. It was the number of wires and the limited space that was the source of the problem.

Reply to
John

What a F*CK**G stupid thing to say, even a lethal fault works OK until it kills....

Think about it, assuming you have half a brain to do so. :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The switch should have come with a spacer to allow this to happen. Have you still got this part ??

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

With the greatest of respet Ed, you are wrong,the switch is missing a part that should have been fitted.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

A _very_ ancient catalogue shows list no. 2134 as 18mm deep. No idea if they still do it or not.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

[6 lines snipped]

With the greatest of respe(c)t Stephen, we have dimmers throughout our house, (in other words I have bought 10 or so of them) and I have

*never* seen a part such as you suggest.
Reply to
Huge

I had exactly the same problem a while ago, and none of the dealers I asked knew of any spacer, so I bought a blanking plate and ground out the centre bits with a Dremel. Because the plate is slightly tapered there's a bit of a mismatch around the edges, but it doesn't look too bad - it'll do until I source the "real thing"!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Just been to the van to check my stock of MK dimmer, and all of them have this 4mm spacer to enable safe connection onto a plaster depth back box. I do however my my stock from wholesalers rather than sheds, and it is always as a minimum MK logic Plus. So either you have not ben supplied that part as part of your pack, or your have not fitted MK logic.

And fo the record I think Mr Sirret should stick to gas if that is the quality of his electrical advice.

Regards

Stephen Dawson

Director

Fox Electrical Services Ltd

34 Portchester Rd

Portsmouth

PO2 7JB

Tel 02392 615142

Fax 02392 661931

Mobile 07970 940637

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Guys - believe me I wouldn't have posted the question if there had been a spacer - and I made sure I had a box that hadn't been tampered with.

My dimmer is a MK Brass Double 2 Way K5307RPPBS]

By the way - wouldn't it be better if there was a shield behind the box lugs to prevent the wires getting behind the lug and then getting damaged by the screws.

Reply to
John

And I need to use my spell checker more often.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson
[ sniped context due to previous top posting ]

Well that is a sure sign that the backing box is over-crowded then.

Please learn how to post correctly, the following URL might help,

:::Jerry::::

[ 70 lines of re quoted text snipped ]

You also need to learn to edit un needed text from your replies too...

:::Jerry::::

And that clarifies the mystery, the insert is not include with brass fittings. The MK instructions say the back box should be min 25mm deep, with

35mm deep for the low voltage variant.

Out of interest, I can't find the part number but is it a Savoy Plus dimmer ??

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

The instructions appear to cover Albany, Chroma, Savoy and Grosvenor.

No useful information on the box (Just "Brass double Two Way") so it is impossible to read the spec without opening the pack.

Reply to
John
[72 lines snipped] 1 > 2 >And I need to use my spell checker more often.

And get your delete key fixed.

Reply to
Huge

First, what depth box are you using? Second, were there any instructions about the depth of box needed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)