shallow gas fires

We have an existing Victorian fireplace, complete with traditional 16" fire back. We want to put a (largely decorative) inset gas fire in there, but the fitter said that the front of the gas fire must not come forwards of the front of the chimney opening. Effectively this means that the fire must be no more than 180mm front to back.

The smallest I have found is 220mm.

Two questions (to the invariably helpful people on this group)

  1. Is the fitter right?
  2. Anyone seen gas fires that are 180mm in depth or less?

Help appreciated as always

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

IMHO no, on the basis that you don't even need a chimney for some gas fires - surely it depends on what type of flue you have (class I or II) and what type of fire you have (none yet, by the sounds of it?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

We're looking for a replacement gas fire as well, and picked up a Focal Point

brochure from a local shop (in Walton on Thames). I have no idea if they're any good or not; only just started looking.

The brochure includes a load of specs for the flue, the fireplace etc, and it doesn't mention not projecting in front of the chimney opening. I'd certainly double-check your fitter's advice.

There are plenty of fires shown in the brochure with depths less than

180 mm. The smallest appears to be 125 mm.

HTH.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Packer

Normally you take the fireback out. The fireplace should be the depth of the chimney breast, possibly plus the width of a brick as the back wall of the fireplace is often only one brick thick.

The fireplace will need to seal to the chimney breast. ISTR there's a minimum distance allowed between the front of the fire and the front edge of the hearth too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

300mm unless other wise stated. Hearth needs to 50mm above floor level. Top surface of hearth 12mm non-combustible.
Reply to
Ed Sirett