Setting up old coal shed for brewing?

I have an old coal shed outside my house, which I refurbishe=ADd recently

- roof rotten and collapsed, rotten doors etc.

Now I'm thinking I could use it as a brewery, and permanentl=ADy fit up some water supply and drainage - the garden hose pipe supply=AD is attached to the building, and a drain is directly outside to=ADo, which leads in to the sewer main.

There's even an electrical supply, but I'll upgrade that to =AD6mm right

back to the consumer unit to handle the amperage required to=AD run

2x2.4kw elements for the boiler.

My biggest concern is that of steam/extraction from boiling 50-60 L fluid for over an hour with a 4.8kW boiler, causing lack of visibility/steaming up, hot water driping off=AD the ceiling and walls, encouragement of rot/mould, and possi=ADbly electic shock?

The building is approx. 2.5m x 1.5m x 2m (lxwxh) - that's ab=ADout 8' x

5' x 6'.

I was wondering if I could fit a bathroom extractor fan (or =ADtwo?)above the boiler, which then runs along the joists (flat roof), an=ADd outside.

Would something like that work?

Another concern is that of electrics - will the steam cause =ADproblems?

Should I fit only (IIRC IP65) waterproof outdoor sockets?

Would flourescent strip lights be ok in a steamy environment?

Re: rot and mould, I intend to to put a plasterboard ceiling=AD up, and plaster/paint the walls, so hopefully, some bathroom paint s=ADhould be ok?=20

Cheers,=20 Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

You'd be much better off with a cooker hood - preferably a high-efficiency, twin fan model. Like this:

I'd concentrate on extracting as much of the steam as possible - the electrics would suffer, but so would everything else. If you manage to extract sufficiently, you should be able to use normal fittings.

No, they wouldn't be fine.

Ditto - get as much steam out of there as you can.

Reply to
Grunff

Will the hood be ok with the extreme dampness? I suppose they are designed for steam.... Any suggestion for lights in that environment?

Regards, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

I'd have thought so - ours gets a pretty good steaming when we're cooking.

If I were doing this, I'd concentrate on keeping the humidity at a reasonable level (lots of extraction), and use normal fittings everywhere.

Reply to
Grunff

visibility/steaming up, hot water >driping offthe

What are you donig that would cause this, distillation? You need to pipe the steam output straight outside so theres no problem in the first place.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

No! Part of the brewing is to get the malt from the mash and this involves getting water hot and spreading it across the barley (if my memory is correct) I could be mistaking this for the process of making my other favourite tipple, whisky :-) Long time since I have done this (well over 30 years)

As a great lover of micro brewery's beers, will yours be available in any pubs :-))

I hope I hope :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have an old coal shed outside my house, which I refurbishe­d recently

- roof rotten and collapsed, rotten doors etc.

Now I'm thinking I could use it as a brewery, and permanentl­y fit up some water supply and drainage - the garden hose pipe supply­ is attached to the building.

Make sure the hose pipe doesn't taint the water. I once used a black garden hose to fill the water tank in my camper and the water tasted disgusting but other pipes have been OK. I'd hate to think of a brew being spoilt by dodgy water.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

The water supply is direct from mains in to copper pipe, so should be ok. I'll just have to make sure I flush it through to get rid of the flux etc before using it.

It's not distillation, but brewing ale/beer. The extraction isn't so much required for the mash/sparge, but for the boil. When brewing, I have to boil 10 gallons on a full rolling boil for over an hour with the lid off - a *lot* of steam!

It is probably every all-grain (as opposed to kits and extracts) home brewers dream to have their beer sold in a pub or supermarket - it is mine anyway. You never know!

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

much required for the >mash/sparge, but for the boil. When brewing, I

the lid off - a *lot* of steam!

So whats the problem with just leaving the door open for an hour? What am I missing? No - best not answer that :)

Standard flourescent lights are not meant for use in semi-wet environments, but the reality they have been used in such frequently, and they seem to survive well anyway. I imagine the hot choke and tube ends keep the condensation off the key parts. I'm not recommending it, its not consistent with modern regs.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

In message , MarkMc writes

Why not go the whole hog, see here...

(hic!),

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

You won't believe this, but I'm develping my own PC hook-up/datalogging and temperature control circuit too - I'm really getting carried away with this hobby!

I wonder if I'm best to fit bathroom 12v/lv lighting in to the ceiling for safety?

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc