Setting up a powerline network

They clearly think they've already worded it for the benefit of Joe Public ...

"in layman?s terms, the peaks are approximately 30dB above the limits"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Cat5e cable. Works, reliable, fast (up to 1 Gbps full duplex).

That lazy don't like it as it takes time and some mental effort to plan/research the routes and physical effort to install.

Internal soil stacks make nice cable routes from loft to floor slab, upstairs rooms can be fed from the loft, 10 mm clip on cover conduit in the corner behind the door to bring the cable down to skirting level. One of the larger mouldings of ogee skirting hides the cable well fixed with a cable staples rather than hammer in clips.

The stone walls here prevent WiFi getting far but a cheap AP(*) on the end of a bit of Cat5 sorts that out.

(*) Aldi reduced to £14.00 Maginon "WLAN-Repeater" WLR-510. Plug in device, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, three modes Access Point, Repeater, or Client.

802.11 a/b/g/n WPA WPA2 two aerials but I don't think that means MIMO, just one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz.

Or Tesco have the TP-Link TL-WR841N for £20 table/wall device. Bit overkill as its also a router with a WAN and 4 LAN ports but that does give your better control of what a given client can access and when. The four LAN ports mean you could connect, via Cat5, three other devices to it that then share the single Cat5 back to another switch/server/WHY. It is also a twin aerial MIMO device so performs better than a single aerial AP. 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz only.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed, I recall that there have been cases of people connecting to other peoples systems because they travelled outside their own property. This may have been with early devices that were not as secure as more modern ones, but worry all the same. There again wifi travels outside many properties too. Cat 5/6 is a lot more secure and also less prone to failure.

Reply to
Bill

Slightly more difficult to just grab the tablet or phone and google something whilst sprawled in front of the telly, though.

Reply to
Adrian

How does Homeplug do that?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It lets me put a second wireless router in the other end of the house, so that I get wireless coverage through the whole property.

Reply to
Adrian

(Some) homeplugs have wireless output as well as CAT5 sockets.

Reply to
News

In message , at 10:56:46 on Thu, 9 Jul 2015, News remarked:

They do, and I have one. One possible use is to extend coverage to somewhere that an ADSL router's built-in wifi doesn't reach very well.

(I haven't used separate (non-wifi) ADSL routers plus wifi hotspots for about ten years now).

Reply to
Roland Perry

Its not been that well thought out, powerline does cause interference there been quite a bit or research done on it in recent times.

It may well be Adrian that your in a very good signal area for radio reception, many aren't;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

google

But a bit a Cat5 will do that passively, securely and reliably.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Now down to £9.99 at least in Aldi, Penrith.

I resisted the tempation to buy another one, I already have two, one as an AP at the other end of the house (on cable), the other configured as a Client (again on cable) to my phones hotspot to act as a backup internet connection if the ADSL goes down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice