setting 4 x 4 posts on concrete pad

Have cast a number of 300 x 300 pads of concrete for 100 x 100 posts to rest on (decking project) The concrete is a good finish but not perfect ...... just wondering if anybody has any suggestion for anything to put under posts to 'bed' onto concrete.

I could cut squares of thick roofing material (2mm thick rubber type sheet) Could put a layer of Grip[fill over end of posts (nor as a glue just a bed)

Any other suggestions ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

On Thursday 23 May 2013 12:54 Rick Hughes wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I would not worry - the wood will bed itself.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But I would put a number of coats of something on to discourage water uptake and rot onto the endgrain. The weak point is always where water can wick under the post and enter the end by capilliary action.

Be interested to hear the best suggestion for end grain treatments to extend the life of wood exposed to serious weather and endgrain facing a concrete surface. Is there a better way than water/rot proofing.

My old garage door posts are failing due to water ingress at the ends.

Reply to
Martin Brown

+1

Whatever you do the wood will rot. Oak heartwood is about the best, sold as firewood, but even it rots in the very long term. Creosote is the most effective preservative.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

firewood, but even it rots in the very long term. Creosote is the most effective preservative.

+1 Real mens, full lead, creosote can still be purchased despite what most people think. Google for Bird Brand Creosote. Stand your posts in a bucket of the stuff for as long as possible, taking them out to drain the day before installation. It maybe too late but you can get galvanised or stainless 'pocket on a stick' mounts that keeps the ends off the concrete. Ideally these would have been cast into the concrete but you might be able to drill your pads if they are still a bit green.

or even these

Bob Minchin

+1 or if real creosote can't be found Cuprinol 5* seems pretty good but again stand the ends in a bucket for as long as possible, days rather than hours.

To stop capillary action from the concrete in the (wet) ground up into into the post end I'd use a bits of slate. But if the pads are really bumpy that might not be stable enough.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I will paint on 2 layers of Waxoyl I always do this where wood touches brick or concrete. In effect puts a layer of wax which soaks into end grain.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I have built concrete pads to keep wood off and out of ground ... which is IMHO a big improvement. Just trying to take it even further.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I thought of these ... but the nail fixing to post looks so flimsy, and hardly any upstand. I could easily go get them and resin fix them in though ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You can buy steel socket things intended for bolting fence posts on to concrete. They keep the posts fromrotting for a good while longer too. Gardens centres, B&Q has them.

Reply to
harry

Instead of using standoff posts, how about adjustable cradles to directly support the joists?

They keep the timber clear of the concrete and can be adjusted for perfect positioning.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Soaking in used engine oil has been recommended to me for similar purposes.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yep; just google it and you'll find it's still used widely.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm fairly sure Bird Brand Creosote is no longer the stuff my father used to buy. They recently (well, within the last two decades) changed the spec to meet environmental regs.

... but still: +1

+2 : All the DIY sheds in the Black Forest have these (rough timber is cheap, so they use a lot of it) ... but I'd still recommend soaking the ends in creosote.
Reply to
Martin Bonner