Servicing your own gas boiler

And they will be totally unbiased, of course . . .

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sayer thinks highly of his Gas Safe man's opinions whereas the gas-related technical documents I've read over the years are to be found in the Beano.

Reply to
Onetap

No not at all...

Whatever..

Opinion?..

And from that site...

Water carrying parts of a boiler unrelated to gas or airflow, can be worked on without gas training, though you still have to be competent, for example electrically.

Reply to
tony sayer

Couldn't possibly comment...

Yep..

Or the Dandy perhaps .. you are somewhat vague as to -where- they were..

Reply to
tony sayer

PCBs aren't usually water carrying parts. You're doing something wrong.

Reply to
Onetap

Petty and two-faced.

A selective quote, carefully omitting the parts that do not correspond to your opinion.

"Gas Work includes but may not be limited to:

Anything which involves removal of a combustion chamber cover or sealed boiler case.

Any work involving a Gas pipework or any gas fitting Gas Valve Fan.........................

............. Other Safety Controls such as thermocouples Circuit board "

So you'd looked it up, where I'd mentioned, proved yourself wrong and copied and pasted some information, carefully taken out of context, because you were incapable of admitting you were wrong.

They'd probably read it in the same place I did.

So will you persist in replacing PCBs in your buy-to-let property?

Reply to
Onetap

With a modern (ish) boiler I would have to concur. A PCB is a fundamental part of the safe operation of the thing as a whole.

On a pragmatic side I also appreciate that the chances of something going badly wrong on a PCB swap are limited. (and for that matter also observe that many registered fitters do not seem to have a strong diagnostic ability when dealing with electrical and sensor related problems).

However this is an area were the law is very clear, hence in a rental place, I would not personally be prepared to change one myself unless covered by a registered fitters "supervision". (one should read that keeping in mind my normally more gung ho attitude to these things)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well thats an example of the way those regs can be "interpreted"..

Reply to
tony sayer

Don't take on so dearie;!..

Well thats an "interpretation" of the regs is it not?..

Nope this discussion isn't about me being right and U being wrong its about how the regulations are interpreted..

I'll tell you what I'll do I'll give him a ring later and see what he says in more detail..

OK?..

Reply to
tony sayer

It does seem that the cases that do come to court seem to be some dodgy landlord who's tried to change a boiler or some other large scale works..

Well not wishing to fan the flames a "certified" gas fitter left some gas pipes in a property we rented from the local council with just some taps that were easy to turn and open. I saw those and was led around the houses and in the end phoned Transco who told be to evacuate the building and await their arrival.

They duly declared it unsafe and cut it all off at the meter inc some other uses in the same block and I don't quite know what became of it as to who originally did it, it was all hushed up;!

Sometime later that day a local fitter did turn up and commented adversely on the antics of the original and said he'd take it further himself.

Dunno what happened after that.

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed, as you would expect. There are no doubt plenty of cases where work is done competently by unregistered fitters, nothing bad happens and no one is ever the wiser.

Yup registered fitters being less than competent is a separate issue to working on rented out properties though.

Reply to
John Rumm