Serious electrick!.

Page 2 of 2

The one in the white hat seemed to me to be edging away nervously...
--
A. Top posters.
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:47:36 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Quite. Amazing sound (bet it sounded better live!) and sight. I notice that it is the last of the three breakers to open. Wonder what the other two where like? I knew I should of gone into power distribution engineering not broadcasting...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Some explanation here Dave and a few other's. Like the exploding transformer!...
http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm#Crane
--
Tony Sayer

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:15:09 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

All good stuff. B-) Like the way that the "worlds biggest jacobs" ladder was half intentional. Wonder what would have happened if it had been just a bit windier, not enough to blow the arc out but enough to make it go more horizontal. Did they pick a still day because of that risk?
Downloaded the clips but need to look at them on a window box.
500MW down that line is not to be sneezed at either. Always remember doing a corporate for SWALEC, they where putting in another connection to the supergrid up the heads of the valleys somewhere. Nice offcuts of cable lying about, as thick as my fore arm all the switching was enclosed still pretty big though. Also went to a grid switching substation just outside Cardiff. Watched the 125kV feed ammeters sat at around 100A waving about by 10A or so, the odd MegaWatt variation in load over just a few seconds.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

You could make a really ace jacobs ladder with that and a couple of iron girders
--
geoff

And if you want to download the file, there is a link from this page:
http://www.popdex.com/c/2530893
or
http://www.milkandcookies.com/links.php?op=user&uname=merc2k
some comments from sites are below
See what happens when a power station's 500 KVA switch is thrown! No enhancements or special effects were added to this live footage.
Gotta love it. This is the best arc'ing I've seen in a long time. Basically, they are opening the switch on a high voltage line, with No wind, and the humidity just right. The big switches open slowly on these systems.
Roger