Serious electrick!.

Page 1 of 2
A warning to show the children why they shouldn't play near power lines etc!.....
http://home.earthlink.net/~wmwph1/LugoSWR.mpg
--
Tony Sayer

And you think the power is truly off, eh ? WOW !!! What a training video. :-))

video.
A mate of mine in an R&D lab used to have a miniature one of those with some jam in the middle as a flykiller. He didn't seem to think it was overkill....
tony sayer wrote:

Makes you sick... I spend hours making a 6' tesla to get 2-3' of spark, and these guys do it at the flick of a switch on a routine basis!
--
Grunff

Nicola Tesla... now there's a guy to spark the imagination, no mistake ! Grade A genuis, never appeared to get the recognition he deserved :(((
--
Jet

Jet wrote:

Quite.
--
Grunff

Jet wrote:

Turned into a grade A fruitcake towards the end though.
Steve
Steve wrote:

I think there's something about 'genius' which inevitably turns the person in question into something of an oddity. Just goes with the territory - the same brain mecahanims that makke someone very clever also make the a little strange.
There's no disputing that Tesla's undertanding and /intuition/ when it came to physics in general and electricity in particular was unrivalled.
--
Grunff

Don't necessarily agree with you here Grunff, so I'm off to water the daffodils up the reindeers rectum... they came up early this year due to high concentrations of global warming in my gespacho soup...
--
Jet
QUICK ! ! ! Before my tinfoil hat cooks me ed ;p

More seriously though, Tesla was indeed a genius. A shame his knowledge of broadcast power wasn't put into practical consumer use... a cordless drill running off 240v, no battery would suit me down to the ground ;)
Some links for those that haven't heard of Tesla... amazing how much we owe to a man many of us know so little about...
http://web.archive.org/web/20010307065857/onlinetools.chipcenter.com/netsim/tesla/tesla2.html
http://www.amasci.com/tesla/tesla.html#tlnk
http://www.amasci.com/tesla/tesla.html
--
Jet

wrote in message

One reason geniuses are odd is that genius is the ability to form different thoughts about the things that the rest of us just take for granted. This ability to step outside of how most of us see things is what enables new things to be seen. And gives them a differing persective to the rest of the species.

There is no such technology. Tesla thought there was, but his radio transmission of power is of very limited use, thats why it its rarely used. It did not live up to his hopes for it.
Regards, NT

Perhaps, just perhaps, the fact that Tesla spent his life in heavily magnetised and/or EMF fields caused a deterioration of his body cells? We do hear about people getting cancer if they live under a high voltage line (though I'm not sure those claims have been substantiated).
We shouldn't forget that when X-rays were first discovered they were used on the stage as magicians-type tools. Until some bright spark realised that X-rays were harmful to living organisms.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

they used to be in most shoe shops !

When I was a kid, they had them in shoeshops - devices called pedoscopes. You stood on this machine in the new shoes putting them into a couple of holes at the back of the machine. The shop assistant switched on the machine and you could see where your toes were in the shoe on a green fluorescent screen in the top. There was a timer to limit how long the tube was on, but apparently the output was quite high.
However, it seems that the risk is not thought to be high unless you were a shoe shop assistant or Emelda Marcos.
Most of the shoe shops had those systems for transporting money across the store in little capsules on a wire, propelled by pulling a chain rather similar to that of a high level toilet cistern.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

They also had them in mens hat shops the power had to be regulated to avoid damage to the brain. One day a very shady looking guy walked into the shop and asked for a cap to be fitted. Being a little unsure about the customer the assistant decided to set the power at very high level,the customer had no idea what was happening as the hatometer didn't hurt. The customer left wearing his brand new flat cap,but within five minutes of leaving the shop the customer got lost he couldn't remember where he came from what is name was.A policeman spotted the guy just walking in circles with a vacant stare. To cut this rather long tale a little shorter it ended up with the guy being given a new identity and was from then on called:
" IMM the international man of mystery"
ATB
Kris

Thankyou for mentioning that it was polyphase AC, rather than just AC (which he didn't invent).

Tesla didn't invent radio, didn't understand radio propagation, and his own bizarre idea was an obvious dead end for any sort of distance. Yet he pushed ahead with it it despite, leading to the financial collapse of the company and the need to invent Usenet and the web, merely as a means of cataloguing the multitude of Tesla-kook fansites.
I think Tesla _was_ a smart guy who invented lots of useful ideas about wired power transmission. Then he got into the conflicts with almost every other inventor or financial backer, and he went barking mad.
Tesla's biggest mistake was in preserving a vaguely decent haircut. One good photograph of him looking vaguely straggly and highly charged, and he could have been the iconic Einstein model (for the postcard and T-shirt market at least).
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?
Andy Dingley wrote:

His ideas about global communications systems were a bit off track, but he did build the first radio transmitters with any real output, and he did lay the foundations of tuned radio circuits, which were then built upon by Marconi - no?

I'm not going to disagree there - there's certaily *a lot* of crap out there.
--
Grunff

Hertz, Helmholtz and Maxwell, IMHO
Andy Dingley wrote:

Totally agree as far as the theory goes - but applying it to build working transmitters?
My use of 'invented' was inaccurate, but my understanding is that Tesla was the first to (through an understanding of tuned circuits) build workable transmitters. This is based on my reading - I wasn't actually there!
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Well Helmholtz might disagree there, and possibly Oliver Heaviside and Charles Steinmetz,who pioneered the use of laplace transforms to solve problems in AC circuits.. And transmitting it isn't anywhere near as clever as receiving it again....For that Marconi and his use of the Bramely coherer as a non-linear detector deserves the credit for that.
As for AC power systems - S.Z De Ferranti deserves an awful lot of credit. One assumes he is spinning (synchronously) in his grave at the destruction of his legacy by his grandsons.
What a complex thing history is !
Steve