Septic Tank query

My house is 10 years old and the septic tank fitted was one intended for 4 houses which the builder had spare at the time and fitted it. I use a Septic Tank conditioner called Septico every 4 months which results in no smells. My wife thinks I should get it emptied but I think that the conditioner is keeping the contents active and helps to break down the solids. There are only two of us in the house. Could I have ideas on the subject please. Blair

Reply to
Blair Malcolm

Although they vary emptying every two years would be a rule of thumb. Given that yours is four times the normal size then it would be worth doing particularly since it would provide an opportunity to inspect it. Provided you don't put excessive bleach or other cleaners down the pan they should not require any conditioner. Using biological washing powder does not help matters.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

All septic tanks need emtying. It may take you 10 years to fill yours, but you can't wait that long because by that time the solids at the bottom will be really, really solid. Empty it every 2-4 years.

Reply to
Grunff

Just had ours emptied after eleven years. The man from the company asked why we were emptying it, because there was little sludge and it was all working fine. Before it was emptied, it never stank, after emptyign it honked like nobodies business for several weeks. So I don't think I'll empty it again, ever.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Septic tanks fill very rapidly, depending (obviously) on amount of waste sent down the drains. We are talking weeks if a large family, not months let alone years. However the point is that the "overflow" providing it is treated properly (eg no bleaches, biological detergents) then should be clear water, which then goes into a soak away, causing no problems. As a child I lived in a bungalow built in 1938 with a septic tank, which was not emptied for the first time until the early 50s, it never gave any problems.

Reply to
Broadback

Did you refill it with a bug kit after emptying ? I've done that and never had a problem.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Kill two birds with the one stone

1/ Kill the cat 2/Throw in the dead cat
Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

All you need to do is chuck a bit of "high" road kill, such as a deat cat or rabbit, in to reintroduce some bacteria.

Reply to
John

Or just go and have a crap. Far more in that.

Reply to
Mike

Wrong sort - that's the quick route to stinky septics.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That sort will dominate anyway - that's what most of the matter in there will be. Any micro-organism will seek to destroy all others it cannot co-operate with. General view round here (100s of septics) is that all these silly throw-ins don't make any difference. And no, ours doesn't smell at all.

Reply to
Mike