Septic tank lid/access

Well, we've finally found where the 'ole in the top of the septic tank is. Doing a bit of garden tidying yesterday, I found a paving slab in the earth between a tree and the hedge. Lifting that, there was another paving slab. Then a bit more. Then a brick. Then another paving slab... I didn't lift that one, because a crack opened up between it and the earth to one side - a bit of loose earth slid in, and landed with a sploosh. I've not investigated any further, and have no great desire to. The slabs are lobbed back in position at the moment.

Generally, not an ideal access setup.

So - what think you all? I've got a little stack of blocks at the back of one of the outbuildings. The path of least resistance would appear to be to lay those into the earth as best as possible, mortaring them together. Mebbe lay a rough wooden frame underneath the first layer, to ensure they stay put. A couple of layers, laid "low but wide", should give sufficient strength without having to worry too much about earthworks. Then a manhole frame & lid over the top.

There's not going to be any traffic over the top - vehicle or even foot.

Reply to
Adrian

Various options here:

You should, nevertheless, build it on the assumption that somebody, someday, will step on it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Mmm. A simple plastic raising piece plus cover sounds like the ideal solution. I'll have a chat with the guys in the local builder's merchant, too, see what they reckon.

Oh, absolutely.

But - trust me - no matter how bad, it's GOTTA be better than what's there already.

Reply to
Adrian

I wonder how long it will be until you find a card in your letterbox saying "parcel left under paving slab next to tree in garden"

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No courier is going to find it accidentally...

Reply to
Adrian