Separating OSMA piping used as ducting for air vents

Hi

I've got some grey OSMA piping in my attic that is being used to duct air away from the extractor fans in two bathrooms. Having cheanged teh bathroom, I need to move the ducting but I can't separate the piping.

It looks like it is a push fit system of piping and has OSMA 4S 140

110/4 on it. The 110/4 is the size in mm/inches.

How would this normally be connected together? Would it be glued? Is there some sort of screw mechanism? Should I just pull it apart with great force or is there a technique that I'm missing?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Charlbury

Its probably solvent-weld so its nigh on impossible to separate. Cut it and replace, its cheap enough. Go to proper builder/plumbers merchant for compatible stuff. e.g. Jewsons, Travis perkins.

Reply to
OldBill

Cut it with a saw and reassemble with couplers. The cost of couplers is small compared to the aggro saved.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it is push-fit there'll be a bulge near the neck of the collar which contains the O-ring. If it's solvent then the diameter of the collar will be more-or-less the same. If it's push-fit you should be able to twist it: wrapping rubber strips around the sections (or using one of those Boa grips) may help. It may also help to get some washing up liquid or furniture polish spray into the joint.

It's worth salvaging what you can as soil pipe and fittings are pretty expensive, and are reusable. For new stuff you'll probably find Screwfix a lot cheaper than your local merchants.

For vent ducting you can make joints by cutting pipe at an angle, trimming the cuut edges to make a good fit and solvent welding. You need to leave it a long time (like a day or so) with the joint held together e.g. by PVC tape, for the weld to set properly, and may still have to seal hairline cracks with (e.g.) tape or sealant, but it can let you make joints at arbitrary angles without the bulk and expense of 'proper' connectors. (Obviously you don't want to try this when using the pipe for soil!)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Glued usually. Cut, insert couplers and reglue.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was push-fit AND had a solvent weld on it! I cut through it in the end and bought some new pipe and a 90 degree bend from Jewsons as recommended.

The bend cost =A310.60 and 3 metres of pipe cost =A318 so they weren't exactly giving it away.

Thanks for all the comments.

Steve

Reply to
Charlbury