Separate earth wire

Its rubber and vgc. Its red & black inside, so age unknown.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Use it through an 240-240V isolating transformer

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I just had a look, the bag's on upside down and cant go on the right way. Odd. Will soon fix tho. And as they ever are, its clogged up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm of the view that it should be done right or not at all. Best analogy I can think of is the potentially insecure fixing of a safety railing to a high roof. If there is no railing than all will stay well back and all is well, if there is a railing then people will assume it is safe to go closer to the edge and who knows what will happen.

Just offering another view.

Reply to
fred

Its done. The way its done it can go back to original any time. I'm not going to modernise it where its not needed. A 3 core lead wouldnt work well anyway, the design is clearly not set up to be earthed.

One remaining question is whether the bag can be washed. I've washed later ones, but not a 1930s black one. I guess I'll test it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would normally agree.

But in this case I won't ;->

"Half arsed" is much better than not at all IMHO. And the presence of a CPC is unlikely to make the internal insulation start to act all careless and suddenly break down ;->

Unless you're proposing the user would stand on a rubber mat on seeing an item of Class 0 equipment that has no CPC :)

And the OP has not answered: IS is actually Class 0?

Probably from that vintage, but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it's actually double insulated - or as good as - by accident if not design...

Personally I'd stick an RCD plug on it. Leaves the rest authentic and significantly reduces the risk.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I wondered about an RCD plug. But they're not known for being robust. And it would be noncompliant.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , Tim Watts writes

The whole point is that there's no guarantee that a flying lead earth will still be functional on a portable appliance in 12mths time. I mentioned flexure failure and that is most likely what will happen when dolly has run the dustette round the bannisters a few dozen times.

So, does it need an earth or doesn't it? If it doesn't need an earth then don't earth it and if it does need an earth then don't do it half arsed.

On a tangent, half arsed is not what I need when I'm 100m off the deck and I'm relying on the security of a belay point to stop me taking a swan dive off the top.

Reply to
fred

Spira-wrap it and it will be fine.

Tangent yes. Relevant? No.

Reply to
Tim Watts

why will the cpc have such a short life, yet the main lead last 80 years?

What exactly would you recommend then? Given that a 3 core lead would not e nable the cpc to go where its needed. A 3 core lead would see the cpc enter a closed plastic cavity from which there is no escape - and the metal appl iance body is some distance from it.

Non-comparable situation

NT

Reply to
meow2222