Separate earth wire

I have a Class 0 appliance, but not enough 3 core flex in stock. As a short term measure is it permitted to add a cpc wrapped round the 2 core flex, as long as its effectively cordgripped at each end? Its a handheld thing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 11 May 2014, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com grunted:

Is it just you using it? If so, do you care if it's "permitted", provided you're happy it's safe?

Reply to
Lobster

I had to google Class 0 appliance ...

A 'handheld thing' sold before 1975 and that you're too embarrassed to mention on a newsgroup?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Chuckle. Just one thing to think about. I did this once and the earth wire, in between cable ties got itself looped around a door handle. I pulled it and despite it having been sandwiched in the cable grip of the plug, it pulled free inside, leaving the device, an old drill, unearthed. I fellt the tickle and left it alone after that. the original drill had had rubber coatedwire on it and it had perished. I cannibalised something else for some three core in the ende, A neighbours buggered up circular saw. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Class 0? So older than 1975 ish? And not fairy lights (nothing worth earthing).

Do tell - what is it?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maybe? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Lol, you people. Its a Hoover Dustette. CPCs can be single insulated, as all T&E is, but can it be wrapped round the flex in the manner once used with 2 core lighting circuits?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have an electric drill of that age. Belonged to my Grandfather, who died in 1983.

TBH I hardly use it these days. Easier to use the cordless...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

If you're trying to do away with Mrs NT you could at least let her die in pleasure with a Golden-Glo Vitalator.

The Dustette was introduced in the UK in 1930 so yours might be a bit older than 1975 :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Are you certain it's Class 0? Just because it has a metal case (I assume) doesn't mean it can't be Class II :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

And yes, if you really want to bolt an earth on, the CPC could be bare metal for all it mattered, so spiralling a bit of single insulated around the main flex would be fine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Again - certain it's Class 0? :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts writes

In contrast, I don't think it would be suitable, particularly for a a portable appliance. Greater risk of mechanical damage and flexure failure on the single core. I'd say buy the right stuff and replace the existing flex.

Reply to
fred

Or get a fleshlight. Much less dangerous. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This was a portable appliance designed to operate without a CPC (albeit to an earlier standard).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't see the relevance, if it needs an earth now then it should be done with a 3 core flex.

Reply to
fred

Perhaps the current flex cannot be easily removed or there is not room to clamp the additional size of 3 core?

But if so, then I agree with you. However, I'm not getting uptight about is as all the OP wants to do is add some belt and braces to an item of equipment that never used to be earthed - it's not exactly a super critical application.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had no idea how old it was - turns out this is a 1930s one.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm not sure if there was much in the way of standards in the 30s, from the appliances I've seen of the era. I know wiring regs were in force for fixed wiring, but some appliances were still being sold with bare live bits back then.

So its getting its first PAT test at around 80 years old. Methinks its overdue. That or the next test is due in 2094.

Being something of a museum piece I'd rather not replace the lead, so adding a CPC may become a long term feature.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Although if the lead is that old (rubber I assume?) is it remotely serviceable?

Reply to
Tim Watts